Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Care For A Black Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope I didn't discourage you too much! You're gonna love your new Audi. Guaranteed.

This is what it looks like after a detail--what's funny is I've realized the cleaner it is, the more noticeable any dust/grime is.

My neighbor bought a BB A3 six months ago. Guy hasn't washed it once! It looks ok though--consistently grimy all around, and it looks like an entirely different color, but not horrible.
Attached Thumbnails Care For A Black Car-image.jpeg  
Old 05-26-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtEiger
I hope I didn't discourage you too much! You're gonna love your new Audi. Guaranteed.

This is what it looks like after a detail--what's funny is I've realized the cleaner it is, the more noticeable any dust/grime is.

My neighbor bought a BB A3 six months ago. Guy hasn't washed it once! It looks ok though--consistently grimy all around, and it looks like an entirely different color, but not horrible.
Not at all--man, your vehicle looks absolutely stunning! I'll be in Boston in 2 weeks: maybe you can clean mine!!!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

For the dash-einzette(z1) cockpit cleaner- the best.
As far as the BB S4 paint goes. These look absolutely stunning when clean-at least for the first 15 minutes! I spend 6 to 8 hours a week keeping my BB A5 spotless. It's a bitch. Every speck of dust and water spot shows. Will never get another black car again.

Sorry, No way around it. you'll have to spend some time each week with it to keep it looking sharp.

Once a month--Wash, clay, wax/polish, seal,wax. This will allow you to rinse it off and dry a few times before you have to do it all over agin.

Then QD in between all that.

Good luck.
6-8 hours a week!!!!! Wow, way, way too much work. You AND YOUR CAR would be much better off after you wash and clay your car to apply a quality COATING - Opticoat, CQuartz, Wolfgang Uber, etc. These coatings can last at least 1-2 years and there is absolutely no reason to do anything other than wash the car when it gets dirty- and the coating make washing a breeze.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For the dash-einzette(z1) cockpit cleaner- the best.
As far as the BB S4 paint goes. These look absolutely stunning when clean-at least for the first 15 minutes! I spend 6 to 8 hours a week keeping my BB A5 spotless. It's a bitch. Every speck of dust and water spot shows. Will never get another black car again.

Sorry, No way around it. you'll have to spend some time each week with it to keep it looking sharp.

Once a month--Wash, clay, wax/polish, seal,wax. This will allow you to rinse it off and dry a few times before you have to do it all over agin.

Then QD in between all that.

Good luck.
Agree with you on 1Z cockpit, but be advised they are closing shop, last few bottles you'll have to get on Amazon.

To each their own, but unless you park & drive the car 24/7 within inches of a railroad, that regimen is complete and utter overkill. Claying often introduces scratches, as do poor polishing techniques - by no means is it required monthly. And even the worst wax from Walmart will last a month (especially if applied over a sealant as you mentioned).

I've had numerous black Audi's and they have all been flawless with an average of 45-60 minutes spent / week on maintenance. Steps:

1. Don't let the dealership touch it when you take delivery or get it serviced if possible.
2. Paint Correction (clay / polish (compound if needed)). If you personally care for the car, this shouldn't need to be done again for atleast a year (well, depends on where you live I suppose).
3. Seal/wax/coat with your choice
4. Wash weekly with the two bucket method or Optimum No Rinse (I use the latter as I wash weekly and live in SoCal (weather/environment not an issue)).
5. Follow up with a quick detailer, I have too many but always go back to Surf City Garage's Speed Demon (though that name freaks me out ! ).
6. Most important is the items you use to wash the car (microfiber towels, mitt etc...). Adam's Polishes has some nice microfiber options.

Don't let anyone scare you. If you are diligent about maintenance, even a black car can look good consistently without too much crazy effort. Detailing Bliss - Auto Detailing Community for the DIYer and Pros. is a good forum to learn from.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by A6er
Agree with you on 1Z cockpit, but be advised they are closing shop, last few bottles you'll have to get on Amazon.

To each their own, but unless you park & drive the car 24/7 within inches of a railroad, that regimen is complete and utter overkill. Claying often introduces scratches, as do poor polishing techniques - by no means is it required monthly. And even the worst wax from Walmart will last a month (especially if applied over a sealant as you mentioned).

I've had numerous black Audi's and they have all been flawless with an average of 45-60 minutes spent / week on maintenance. Steps:

1. Don't let the dealership touch it when you take delivery or get it serviced if possible.
2. Paint Correction (clay / polish (compound if needed)). If you personally care for the car, this shouldn't need to be done again for atleast a year (well, depends on where you live I suppose).
3. Seal/wax/coat with your choice
4. Wash weekly with the two bucket method or Optimum No Rinse (I use the latter as I wash weekly and live in SoCal (weather/environment not an issue)).
5. Follow up with a quick detailer, I have too many but always go back to Surf City Garage's Speed Demon (though that name freaks me out ! ).
6. Most important is the items you use to wash the car (microfiber towels, mitt etc...). Adam's Polishes has some nice microfiber options.

Don't let anyone scare you. If you are diligent about maintenance, even a black car can look good consistently without too much crazy effort. Detailing Bliss - Auto Detailing Community for the DIYer and Pros. is a good forum to learn from.

Agree 100%. And most of my cars have been black or deep blue. To me, a mentioned coating is the key (proper initial prep work of course).
Zaino going out of business or just that product becoming no longer available?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would find a Professional detailing shop. Have the paint corrected and then have it coated with CQuartz Finest or Opti-coat pro.

It is the best thing I have done to a dark/black car. Here is a picture of my Roush. It is not the best picture but it did come out great. I got it done about 1 year ago and I think I have washed the car 4 or 5 times. It pretty much stays clean now. It does cost some $$$ well worth it in my book...

Name:  11078195_790351811044185_992409926653544241_n%20Roush.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  81.4 KB
Old 06-16-2016, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm so happy to have found this thread. I've got a new Brilliant Black A4 which I want to keep shiny without spending hours on it every week.

I'm trying a lazy approach because I want to spend my time driving my car, not cleaning it. I ran it through a touchless automatic car wash, dried it by hand, then applied Rejex. I think it looks great, and I've got no swirl marks.

I've been clearing off the dust and pollen with a California Car Duster. For my last car, I became a big fan of Wash Wax All. I plan to use that for most of my washes. I'm planning to re-apply Rejex every 6-9 months or so.

What are your thoughts on my approach?
Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by flyinglow123
I'm so happy to have found this thread. I've got a new Brilliant Black A4 which I want to keep shiny without spending hours on it every week.

I'm trying a lazy approach because I want to spend my time driving my car, not cleaning it. I ran it through a touchless automatic car wash, dried it by hand, then applied Rejex. I think it looks great, and I've got no swirl marks.

I've been clearing off the dust and pollen with a California Car Duster. For my last car, I became a big fan of Wash Wax All. I plan to use that for most of my washes. I'm planning to re-apply Rejex every 6-9 months or so.

What are your thoughts on my approach?

I would not put any of my cars in any kind of car wash. I would have your car coated. Then all you will have to do is rinse it off.