Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

chrome exhaust tip sealing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome exhaust tip sealing

I have fiund a way to clean my chrome tips using 0000 steel wool. However, even after 100 miles they are dirt again. What is the best way to "seal" the chrome to allow for longer time between cleaning. Does "Rejex" work?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Bobby, I've tried a bunch of products on our cars including a "high temp" sealant. They all help but I've found that frequent cleaning, probably every week, is required if you want to keep them looking their best.

Personally, I've been using Chemical Guys' metal polish and find that works a bit better than the eighteen other metal polishes I have. Good stuff. The other idea I can share would be to try one of the permanent coatings. I think someone has made one for brake calipers. These coatings will be at their best when applied to a perfect (new) surface.

During my weekly wash, I mist a little bit of my wheel cleaner on the exhaust tips and let it dwell for a couple of minutes. I go back with a sponge and can remove some of the hardened black deposit. I polish with Chem Guys about 1x/month, weather-permitting. You will find or have already discovered that aggressive cleaning ends up dulling and compromising the chrome finish.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Try using sealant like the Opti coat after using metal polish.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

my history- used 0000 steel wool with Tarminator (it went off the marrket for a while), it had to be "re formulated" according to EPA rules. ...that did the trick.
While it was unavailable I used WD40 with 0000. Now its being sold at AutoZone $7 / don't know if its as effective as before. It got rid of the carbon build up after a few cleanings over a period of time 2-3 weeks...
Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

P21S Polishing Soap is another very good product for this task when used frequently.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
P21S Polishing Soap is another very good product for this task when used frequently.
I haven't heard of the polishing soap before but I use "Soft Soap" on all sorts of tough cleaning tasks. Find it in with household cleaning products at the grocery store. Claims not to scratch.

As for sealing the polished chrome, I too would try one of the sealing products such as Opti-coat. I have heard that it makes for easier clean up on wheels.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, the Polishing Soap is new to me too. Just got my first container earlier this year and it's almost gone! You simply scrub a bit with the coarse sponge they provide and rinse. That's it. Subsequent use leaves a near-perfect surface. I think it's the best new product I've tried this year.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Simple Green" on a scrubbing pad and rinse off!
Old 09-22-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Arn, I've tried that. No comparison.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I cleaned mine with steel wool also. However I'll be trying fireplace glass door cleaner next time to check the results. It removes the soot from glass that nothing else will

Quick Reply: chrome exhaust tip sealing