Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Flightshield?

Old 11-29-2016, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flightshield?

Checking to see if anyone has experience with Flightshield paint coating and would like to share ... Thanks in advance.

FlightShield

Sapphire V1 | Sapphire V1 Ceramic Coating

Last edited by Keyser Wi; 11-29-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks interesting...
Old 12-05-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am actually getting it done tomorrow. My car will need to stay there for 24 hr for it to cure. I emailed the company and they were very responsive (they replied email within the hour) and answered all my questions and concerns. It's reassuring. I will update on the result.

Last edited by Keyser Wi; 12-05-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
I am actually getting it done tomorrow. My car will need to stay there for 24 hr for it to cure. I emailed the company and they were very responsive (they replied email within the hour) and answered all my questions and concerns. It's reassuring. I will update on the result.
Yes, keep us updated with pics!

BTW - how much does it cost?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by polo1
Yes, keep us updated with pics!
BTW - how much does it cost?
Picked it up late last night and it looks great! Too bad it's too late (and too dark) to take pictures. My wife will be driving it out of town (through the mountain pass) for a couple days, so pictures will follow then. I will monitor how the coating fare over time.

For those who're interested, below are some answers I got from Flightshield Auto and Marine's President that may be helpful:

Flight Shield was originally designed and developed to protect the high value assets of the aerospace industry, namely private and commercial jet aircraft. We have developed an excellent performance track record in aerospace over the years and now these same coatings are available in the automotive and marine industries. Our product coating has been tested by ASTM, a world renowned independent laboratory that sets the gold standard for product testing in our industry and has been verified to reach 9H hardness with one application, withstand temperatures in excess of 1100 degrees farenheit, has a durability rating of 5B which is the best rating in the industry, is very scratch resistant and the gloss achieved is superb. Your vehicle's finish will be protected for years to come versus months with waxes and sealants. Our technicians are trained and certified by Flight Shield in all application services. Our high quality product allows us to back our coatings with industry leading warranties that are second to none in the industry.

Sapphire v1 does, in fact, carry a comprehensive 5 year warranty. You will receive a copy of the warranty from your installer and a copy of the registration of your Sapphire v1 application when it is completed.

Typically, a vehicle comes out of the factory with a clear coat that is 3-4H. Please keep in mind that although our coating is very hard, durable and scratch resistant, there is no such thing as any coating being "scratch proof". Your authorized Flight Shield applicator will be glad to go over with you the recommended ease of maintenance to keep the vehicle looking its absolute best at all times.

As there are many different sizes of vehicles, many different levels of imperfection in the painted surfaces of each individual vehicle, and different processes necessary to eliminate imperfections in the paint prior to an application of a high performance coating it would be virtually impossible to have set prices. That said, the price range can be typically anywhere from $895 to several thousand dollars depending on size of vehicle, condition of vehicle and level of correction needed. Our professionals are trained to properly evaluate the vehicle to determine an exact price of the coating application including the paint correction.

Anyone in Seattle area, send me a PM if you want more info.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I really like the result of the Flightshield Sapphire V1 coating. The pictures posted below were taken after the vehicle went through a heavily snow-covered gravel roads and freeway! The snow, dirt, mud, etc., don't stick well on the coating. I remember how my cars looked crappy after going through snowy roads.

I will post more pictures when I have a chance to get it washed...

Old 12-14-2016, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
I really like the result of the Flightshield Sapphire V1 coating. The pictures posted below were taken after the vehicle went through a heavily snow-covered gravel roads and freeway! The snow, dirt, mud, etc., don't stick well on the coating. I remember how my cars looked crappy after going through snowy roads.

I will post more pictures when I have a chance to get it washed...

LOL. I thought you took those photos after getting the car detailed!!
Old 12-22-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default pictures after a good wash

Old 12-22-2016, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

That's a nice gloss you have there. What method and products do you follow while washing?
Old 12-22-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you. I can't take credit for this wash and polish, because it was done by the detailer (who installed the Flightshield). Not sure what detergent he used for washing. For after-wash polish I know he uses the Flightshield polish. It's a formula designed to maintain the coating (and gloss). He gave me a bottle for when I do it myself.

There's a little drizzle earlier and I am glad to see that water beads over the coating. Too glossy to stick.

Search this Thread