Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

2012 A6 2.0T Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A6 2.0T Brake Job

My 2102 A6 2.0T FWD will need a brake job soon. I don't want to replace ads and rotors with OEM parts. I hate the brake dust! I have been researching and I know this may be over kill for my 2.0T but I have settled on EBC Red Stuff pads and EBC slotted rotors. Mainly because the pads are billed as low dust pads and the slotted rotors for a quite braking and also helps with dust. I know I will have to also purchase wear sensors. I don't know how many to purchase, are there wear sensors on both pads front and rear? Anyone have a better suggestion on brake parts? Is there anything I'm missing? I want to have these already in-hand when the time comes. I have 25K miles now. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SGMJohn
My 2102 A6 2.0T FWD will need a brake job soon. I don't want to replace ads and rotors with OEM parts. I hate the brake dust! I have been researching and I know this may be over kill for my 2.0T but I have settled on EBC Red Stuff pads and EBC slotted rotors. Mainly because the pads are billed as low dust pads and the slotted rotors for a quite braking and also helps with dust. I know I will have to also purchase wear sensors. I don't know how many to purchase, are there wear sensors on both pads front and rear? Anyone have a better suggestion on brake parts? Is there anything I'm missing? I want to have these already in-hand when the time comes. I have 25K miles now. Thanks in advance.
RockAuto Parts Catalog has wear sensors listed for both front and rear pads. They also have several brands of ceramic pads but no EBC products listed. I can get a current 5% discount code. They send the code out after every order and suggest that it be shared.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SGMJohn
You probably won't need new pads for another 25K miles and new rotors for 55K miles. Than, when you get a warning to replace them you have couple of months to do so. What's the rush?

Besides that, black dust from OE pads is not there because Audi engineers don't know better. It is carbon and it is there to enrich rotor surface and keep it hard. EBC Red Stuff pads are not bad, but slotted or drilled rotors are noisy and have no sense on a regular car. OE rotors are the bast you can get.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks mishar! My hurry is basically two-fold. (1) I have yet to read anyone getting
55K miles on their OEM pads and rotors. This is my first Audi and am just going by what others have posted. All my other cars I have owned get 55K or more miles before replacing the pads and even more for rotors. So I hope you are right that I can get that many miles before I have to replace my pads and/or rotors. Also, I have not read about the slotted rotors being louder than smooth rotors. That's good to know! (2) I do like to prepare, I'm not so much a prepper but these items don't have a shelf-life plus the costs just keep increasing. I still have been researching pads, what would you go with; OEM, EBC Red Stuff, or Akebono? Bottom line is when I do have to replace my pads/rotors I would like the OEM smoothness and quiteness with reduced brake dust.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

How long your brakes will last depends on driving needs and style, also on brake size. So relevant experience has to be from the same car and similar usage, but I think you have quite a bit to go. You can always check pad thickness and rotor lip. You will get warning when your pads are somewhere 1/8" (3mm) and your rotors should be replaced when the lip is about 1/16" (1.5mm).

I am using OE pads and rotors and that's what I would suggest. Some people that I can trust use EBC Red Stuff and they are happy. Same braking with less dust.