Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

Replace Breaks at Dealer or Local Shop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 12:46 PM
nk1
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Breaks at Dealer or Local Shop?

I am a newby to this forum (and a lot of things auto related) and have a general question I hope someone can help with. I leave in NY and have a 2007 Q7 4.2l with around 100k miles. I bought the car two years back with 80k miles on it and am not planning to sell it anytime soon.

Here is the the issue. The break pad light came on a few days ago and I went to a local shop to check it out. It is a basic but I think reasonably trustworthy local mechanic. They said I need to replace front pads and rotors right away and suggested I do the back as well, although I have bit more life in them. They say they only replace pads and rotors at the same time as it doesn't pay to refinish rotors. For this they want $350 for front and back each. I then called a local Audi dealer and they quoted $420 only for the front pads and said they would need to see if the rotors need to be replaced, but that rotors would cost extra.

Now, here my questions:
1.) Is the local shop right that you should always replace pads and rotors together?
2.) Is the significantly higher price Audi charges warranted by anything they would do different then the local shop or the quality of parts they would likely use?
3.) Is there anything else I should consider or I am missing to ask?

Thanks for any insights and opinions.

Nico
Old 12-29-2016, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very easy DIY project and you can save yourself a good chuck of change. If you don't feel comfortable find a reputable independent shop and have them do the work.

In order to do the rear calipers you need the VAG-COM interface to properly release the parking brake. If you don't have one you should invest in it as the tool will pay for itself for this job alone, alternatively you can borrow one from a forum member in your area. There are plenty of videos and DIY tutorials for this.

The rotors do not always need to be replaced, it all depends on how worn they are and if they have a lip. 8 out of 10 times the rotors are within spec, but they have a lip around the edge and they need to be turned. Very few shops turn rotors nowadays so you are stuck with paying for replacement ones. Luckily there are many quality aftermarket rotors that cost a fraction of the OEM ones. Take a look at Meyle and Zimmerman. Same goes for the OEM brake pads - much better pads are available at a fraction of the price.

Lastly, this is a good opportunity to flush the brake fluid, if it hasn't been done recently. Once again there is a special tool (pressure pump) that makes the job very easy and it is a one time investment of $60 or so.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-pa...5535140151kt6/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-pa.../7l8698601ckt/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-pa...986424739~bos/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-pa...986424741~bos/

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...007091ecs03kt/

Last edited by Devil_Inside; 12-29-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Find an indy shop that will install the brakes and will allow you to supply your own parts. Then do a search and buy the rotors and pads online. My Audi service dept. will install all four wheels for $500 and I bought Zimmermann rotors and OEM pads online for $550. The indys in my area charge about the same to install so letting the dealer do it.

I would replace all four rotors and pad sets at the same time. That way, you know you are starting out fresh all around.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:35 PM
nk1
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your advice. I am not so sure I am up to doing this myself but your feedback made me feel more comfortable going with a local shop and have him use OEM parts.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This thread helped me out. Thanks guys.

Don't feel to bad as my Audi dealer wanted $1400 for my front and rear rotors and pads :/