"Desirable" electric cars are here, and more are planned. Here's one...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Desirable" electric cars are here, and more are planned. Here's one...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.inhabitat.com/2009/01/14/cadillac-converj-revealed-at-detroit-auto-show/">Click...</a></li></ul>
Old 01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A turd can only be polished so much. Plus, it'd still be ****e.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM

Your problem with it is what exactly?
Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Looks nice, lacks power, heavy, and not easily refillable.

We recently had a discussion on electric cars. They're a solution to gas, for those who use cars solely to get from A to B.

I'd liken it to a stainless steel washer and dryer. Sure, they get your clothes clean, but they just don't put a smile on my face while they do it.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 PM

Default I beg to diiffer...

They're not just for people who use their cars to get from A to B. Feel free to read my comments about the Tesla in that discussion you mentioned.

Remember, the modern electric car is in it's infancy. I think they're off to a good start. When they figure out a way to produce the energy on board effectively, look out. Once manufacturers like Porsche and Ferrari start making them (and they will), watch out again.

Koz.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:14 PM

Default That's a wholly negative point of view there +

- No doubt, gas powered cars were a biatch to fill when they first came out, but we got over it. It took a concerted effort by gas companies, car manufacturers, and consumers to ensure that gas stations were plentifull.
It'll take the same effort on part of all concerned that we get the same facilities, in due course, for the electric or hydrogen or whatever-powered cars in the future.
Stuff doesn't just happen overnight, particularly when it comes to new technology.

- Lacks power?
For what? Drag racing? So does your Audi!
For the purposes of getting from A to B (to paraphrase you) that 99% of the people do, and to stay within the law (which is a whole 'nother story), it'll be plenty fast.

-Heavy?
Again, so is your Audi compared to the Audis of days-gone-by.
Most of it, btw, is attributable to crashworthiness to save your **** when you hit something.

I'm still waiting for a gas powered car that gets 150mpg, has a top speed of 250km/h, weighs less than 1,000kg, seats four comfortably, costs less than $10,000, has lifetime warranty, and will save my **** if I crash it head-on at 200kph into a brick wall.
In the meantime, we have to give the manufacturers a break.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm saying current-gen, direct-comparison.

In the future, I'm sure it'll be better ... for now, it's the black sheep to me, and just another excuse for "environmentalists" to be smug.

I'm jaded on the whole reason for the change. Politicians skew data and use false realities to promote things that are worse than current offerings - hybrids are probably the worst things on the roads for 99% of the population (I've had a fairly advanced discussion on this with another AW member last year). Scientists are left shaking our heads when some d-bag hits your car with a snowball and comments on your gas guzzling when you're trying to fill up at a gas station.

For the record, may be a bad mood, may just be annoyed at the majority of North Americans who are too dead-brained to do their own research.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what would be awesome is if an electric car had mounted at the front a small fan...

in the area where the fans on cars already exist. However this fan harnesses the kinetic energy of the wind that flows into the engine bay while driving, transforming it into electrical energy. Thus, the fan recharges the batteries on the electric car while you drive. You basically would have a car that can be driven for a long time before it needs to be plugged in...in theory anyway.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Holy crap... that interior looks a lot like

<ul><li><a href="http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/09/tron.jpg">this</a></li></ul>
Old 01-14-2009, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You would need one heavy duty fan to put back any useable amount of energy

Plus the weight of that generator wouldn't help with the range of the electric car.

The one problem with the electric car is range and the speed at which the batteries can charge. These are ideal for folks who need nothing more than a car to get around the city and would then rent a car if they need to travel out of town.

Price needs to be REALLY attractive, but until then, the first couple of years will be sold to early adopters, however, costs should come down over time.

Battery technology IMO still needs to improve - both with regards to capacity and weight. Plus batteries don't last forever, so there's the other environmental impact from the manufacturing and handling and recycling of batteries.

Quick Reply: "Desirable" electric cars are here, and more are planned. Here's one...