Canadian vs US pricing, sales restrictions, etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian vs US pricing, sales restrictions, etc

I knew that there was a price difference on new Audis between Canada and US, but never bothered to check the actual numbers. So last night I did, and I wish I didn't.

Mulled it over today and here's a feedback Audi of Canada received from me through their website -

<quote>
Let me preface my comment by saying that I currently own Audi S4 2006, and I have previously owned two A4s, preceded by a number of other VAG cars. All cars were bought new and the average time I've owned each of them was about 2 years. I honestly think that Audi makes the best cars out there, except perhaps for Benz, which I don't like for my own reasons.

So you may quite naturally say I am one of your perfect brand-loyal customers. Perhaps even a very desirable one.

Now, what I wanted to share with you, dear Audi of Canada, that I am absolutely positively F*CKING P*SSED OFF by the price difference between US and Canada.

What buys me S4 here can get me S6 in States. That's 30k difference.

All the excuses that worked when the Canadian dollar was way under US one no longer apply. I wouldn't want to see you hit by a class-action suit like the one that's brewing in Ontario, but frankly I now think you would totally deserve it. Milking your customers, loyal or not, is not a way to retain them. Leave alone making them feel happy about the purchase.

I am aware of recent Porsche price cut, and while it is a step in a right direction, it is insufficient. Pricing needs to be equalized to the point where it does not make any sense to import a car from US.

And, yes, I know that you make your best to complicate the sales of US cars to the Canadians, which makes me EVEN MORE F*CKING P*SSED OFF. Which is exactly the reason why I am buying my next Audi from a US dealer. Because you don't want me to, but don't do anything to retain my business.

VAG customer of 10+ years,
</quote>

Let see if this reverberates with anyone else here
Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Canadian vs US pricing, sales restrictions, etc

I should've probably added that I've been posting on these forums on and off for a few years now. Rather infrequently, so I just kept loosing my login credentials and had to recreate the account each time. I.e. I'm not a stranger to this place
Old 10-17-2007, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I can't wait to see what Audi Canada will answer to you
Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Canadian vs US pricing, sales restrictions, etc

I was ready to head south to buy a B7 S4 but they were just added by Transport Canada as inadmissible. The savings were huge but I'm a month too late. I've sent an email to TC to find out why they changed from the rules on B6's and B7's.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/VAFUS/list/VOLKSWAGEN___AUDI.htm">http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/VAFUS/list/VOLKSWAGEN___AUDI.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 10-17-2007, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2007 S4 is ok though?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: 2007 S4 is ok though?

I hope this is a mistake and all B7's will be allowed.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:40 AM
SMO
AudiWorld Member

Default I bet they get 100 emails like this a day. And 6 yrs ago they WERE hit by a lawsuit...

... of the opposite nature, when the CAD/USD was 1.65. The outcome of that case? Nothing. Still ongoing. This is an issue not with just cars, but with clothes, food, electronics, etc etc.

I totally agree. It sucks. Hope these emails help.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On the other side, if they dropped the price on a new S4, the resale ...

... of your 2006 S4 would fall too. The resale market would suffer as a result. Lease returns and financing rates would be affected.

Kirk
Old 10-18-2007, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's a snowball effect. The implications from lowering the prices are many...

Every single car that AW members own will drop in value and then what, another complaint??? Are we ever happy?
I just don't see the prices lowering at all, maybe some other way of compensating for the difference like; freebies or really low interest rates... and in spite of what is happening with the price difference, I'm having one of my best months ever. And I'm sure Audi Canada will have a record month compare to last year's.
The best way to go about getting a new car in today's market is to lease it. At the end of the term, if the prices did come down, at least you can walk away from it.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really don't understand why people blame MFGs for the price differences.

There is very little they can do. Its not like they control the dollar and cause this mess. They simply can't match the US price for many many many reasons most of which have nothing to do with them being greedy.

Quick Reply: Canadian vs US pricing, sales restrictions, etc