Charged 3 hours for job that took less than 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charged 3 hours for job that took less than 2

Got a new flex exhaust pipe installed on my 98 A4.
Dropped the car off at 4:00 and picked it up at 6:00 and got billed for 3 hours labour at $120 per hour.
They say they have flat rates per job regardless of how long it takes.
I told them I want to deal with the reality of the job and pay for the actual time, not some abitrary fantom rate based on a hypothetical slowpoke.
They knocked it down to 2 hours but I`m still pissed off.
This was at Agincourt Autohaus.
I have done all service here since 98 at considerable cost and now I have a feeling that it was more considerable than it should have been.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

That's the way it works at all dealerships. The rates for all jobs are specified and that's what you're billed for. It doesn't matter if a job that's supposed to take 2 hours takes 1 hour or 3 hours. You'll get billed 2 hours of labour.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Over many years I have usually found that they will give a time estimate within .5-1 hour.
The actual cost should be based on the variables for that particular job.
They shouldn`t just default to the absolute maximum that is allowed for every circumstance.

When you get an estimate of 2.5-3 hours, they know that it isn`t going to take 4+ hours, and even if something extraordinary happened, I`m sure they would find a way to get paid for it.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Maliboothby
Got a new flex exhaust pipe installed on my 98 A4.
Dropped the car off at 4:00 and picked it up at 6:00 and got billed for 3 hours labour at $120 per hour.
They say they have flat rates per job regardless of how long it takes.
I told them I want to deal with the reality of the job and pay for the actual time, not some abitrary fantom rate based on a hypothetical slowpoke.
They knocked it down to 2 hours but I`m still pissed off.
This was at Agincourt Autohaus.
I have done all service here since 98 at considerable cost and now I have a feeling that it was more considerable than it should have been.
Was it done correctly?
If so, then I would find out which technician did the job and always ask for him. He's obviously a guy who knows his Audis and knows how to work on them.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by h20loo
Was it done correctly?
If so, then I would find out which technician did the job and always ask for him. He's obviously a guy who knows his Audis and knows how to work on them.
Good point!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just plugging/scanning in a diagnostic tool is right away one hour labour for like 15 mins button pushing in most cases.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer should have charged you no more than two hours which they did in the end. I'm sure this happens all the time. For this reason I have a local mechanic I can trust and never question his time. The other day I had my GTI in for an airbag fault light. I came back a few hours later. He informed me he reset it with his vagcom tool, no charge. This is why he gets my business. When mechanics or shops get caught with their hand in the cookie jar so to speak you can never trust them again. Anyway....