how necessary are dedicated winter tires for a quattro audi??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT Style is correct. 4xno traction is still no traction. True not too many crazy storms in the city

but it's well worth it for the handful of times it does.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's not only snow but the ambient tempurature that dictates that you should..

get dedicated winters. In addition to snow traction,winter tire compound is produced to give you traction on cold dry Pavement.Most of us drive 90% on clear roads but when it snows or gets icy, winter tires really come into their own.
Pirelli says switch to winters from dedicated summer tires at any temp<7C. I don't have a temp for AS tires like yours but you can extrapolate the thinking to AS tires.
I've had dedicated winters on my B5 S4 for the past seven winters.

Hugh
Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default speaking from experience get snows

i use my pirelli all-seasons the past two winters and you may be fine if you just take it slow. However i will tell you with a curb rash on one of my rims, because i couldnt stop in the snow two winters ago, get winters.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Where's Turbonater when we need him?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Bah . .Snows are not required unless you have summer tires. 90% of the cars out there don't have

them. You guys make it sound like it would be a disaster if he didn't get them.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That sounds like an argument for keeping his A/S on. Snow tires suck.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default its definetly manageable without them, ive never even owned a set of snows for my car or previous

car, but stopping was always a problem in the snow, so i would recommend snows. I may pick up a set of snows myself this winter.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Every instructor's comment

All seasons are a comprimise. They're neither good for summer nor good for winter.

It's worth the cost to get proper tires for winter especially. Need the ride shoes to stop in the shortest possible distance, and even if Toronto gets the odd snow on the road (and then everybody gets stupid and doesn't know how to drive.)
Old 09-22-2006, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Depends what you expect from your car

Most winter driving is done on cold bare pavement. This is the surface all seasons are actually designed to deal with.

I have run the Nokian WR which is a winter tire with an "all season" rubber compound so it doesn't give up at summer time temperatures.

I highly recommend the WR for Canadian conditions. With awd the WR will be more than adequate for the heaviest winter conditions.

High performance all season tires are not much good in snow. These are really cold weather "summer" tires and work really well on bare or wet pavement down to freezing temperatures and can handle a little snow or ice. Hopeless in deep snow or on glare ice or warm ice or slush.

Dedicated high performance summer tires are pretty much useless below about 5 C. They are dangerous on snow or ice of any kind. I heard recently about a guy who inverted his Ferarri 360 in October in the Rockies while driving on wet pavement around freezing... totalled the car as he flippe doff the road upside down into the ditch.

You MUST have at least all season rubber for winter. Whether you go full winters or not depends upon how skilled you are and how hard you want to drive on ice and snow.

My preference is Pirelli P Zero Sottozeros for winter, they are dedicated winters, wear like gum eraser and are superb until the road temperature gets above around 10C.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Every instructor's comment is exactly my point.

Allseason do the job the winter. Snow tires will stop and go better on ice but and A/S tire will generally be more responsive and brake better on dry pavement. Also, all those sharp pieces of gravel stuck in an A/S tire treads act like studs.

Quick Reply: how necessary are dedicated winter tires for a quattro audi??