I'm back and loaded for bear and you guys are still

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I find amusing.......

Nothing said here hasn't been said before, in person, over beers and sandwiches at (insert tavern name here).

1/2 Chinese? That explains the driving. :P
Old 08-19-2006, 09:41 AM

Friggin WOP!
Old 08-19-2006, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: You lost me there

If one person callls you an ***, ignore them.

If another person callls you an ***, ignore them.

If a third person callls you an ***, buy a saddle.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I dunno about that, my stock SAAB Aero will outrun my

recently acquired S4, though if the MTM box I have in the S4 deletes the speed limiter, maybe not. With MTM it's supposed to produce 309 hp, the Aero tops out at 225 hp.

Of course I would never try to reach top speed in either on a public road.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What type of saddle do you recommend?

I assume you have experience in this area.

You do realize that if three asses in succession call me an *** I might not accept their opinion.

I happen to have an accurate self image so the opinions of others are not especially relevant to me. Either they agree with me which adds nothing to my knowledge base, or they disagree in which case I can add to theirs.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Cool. What associated preventative mods with the chip? I'm sure you should know all about what's...

needed 8^)
Old 08-19-2006, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default MTM suggests no alterations to stock components are necessary

However, if one were to flog this car round a trakc without letting up I suspect the tiny turbos would be cooked pretty quickly. On the street it isn't feasible to use anythign like full boost for more than a few seconds at a time. Since the S4 has exhaust gas temperature probes this shoudl be enough to protect the engine from melting the turbos, assuming MTM doesn't bypass Audi's protective software in that regard.

Flogging any street turbo set up is a recipe for turbo failure. I've driven turbo engines for over 20 years with no failures whatsoever. Let us see how this S4 does.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:31 PM

Default Uh-oh, am I going to be adding to your "knowledge-base" now?! 8^)

Some small preventative changes to stock components are necessary....

- 710N bypass valves
- Replace your old TBB, even if its not broken
- Build and use a pressure tester as per AWE's website BEFORE using the chip, especially since this was someone else's car before yours.

Small steps to potentially save big bucks. And what the heck is your EGT sensor reference all about?? K03 turbos don't melt due to excessive exhaust heat, they just break from the stresses. EGT sensors have not saved hundreds before you.

Let me know if you need any more advice.....although I'm sure being the "Noob" is going to be tough for you, we're a great group for offering modding advice (both Canada and S4 forums).

Aman<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/canada/msgs/72516.phtml">So no-one can ever offer you useful advice???</a></li></ul>
Old 08-19-2006, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL @ link
Old 08-19-2006, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default TBB? What part number is the bypass valve in reference to? And

What does the pressure tester do for you?

I assume TB means throttle body, what does the extra B refer to?

The PO upgraded the bypass valves to the ones used on the TT I believe, is this the same upgrade you refer to?

The car has an AWE boost guage which seems reasonably accurate, the MTM chip basically doubles the peak boost (technically the peak boost seems to go from around 9 psi to around 15, slightly less than my Aero), but not for long. The ECU cuts boost aggressively after a few seconds at most at 15 psi or so.

Actually, it is thought that controlling exhaust gas temperatures are critical to preserving turbo life ( not to mention exhaust valves) which is probably why Audi includes them on their V6, I suppose, although most manufacturers of street engines don't bother.

I'm not sure I understand your remark about turbo's breaking, they don't, the bearings fail. The number one cause of turbo failure is overheating of the bearing, usually just the oil at first causing excessive wear. Basically, the turbo only has one moving part, and it floats on a film of oil. As long as the oil film doesn't break neither can the turbo. There are incidental possibilities like compressor failure due to pressure waves caused when the throttle snaps shut but that's what the bypass valves are there to deal with.

Basically, heat destroys the oil film, either directly or by damaging the oil seals, which then allows the turbo to contact the inside of the housing resulting in noise and lots of oil burning. Until the bearing fails the turbo will run basically forever with no wear.

Bypass valves are critical parts but they are pretty simple and "upgrading" them has nothing much to do with turbo life. Drivability and turbo lag are affected by the bypass valve but basically they are either open or shut. High performance bypass valves are pretty much marketing hype. Plain old cheap plastic ones work fine.

I do hear that the K 03 turbos are a weak link, anyone know why? SAAB's use Garrett and Mitsubishi with very few turbo failures, and they run higher boost than chipped Audis.

Quick Reply: I'm back and loaded for bear and you guys are still