Poll: Aside from hemants and the dealers, who here enjoys the car-purchase experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Aside from hemants and the dealers, who here enjoys the car-purchase experience?

I have never personally found it particularly enjoyable, even when I knew I was getting a good deal.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree, it can be a bit taxing on the nerves.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't mind it...probably since I only do it once every few years.

1994 Probe...bought from a relative..good experience.

2002 1999.5 A4...bought at Queensway. Good experience...got a decent deal - I think, and was treated very well.

2003 Saturn. They used a 3 year term to set the payments on a 4 year deal!!!! A bit of a discussion when they came back with a $50 per month (or so) more on the delivery date, but give the manager credit - they ate it and were nice about it.

2004 - my 2000 S4. Got a great deal on that car...only 35k Kms at the time...almost half price...how can I knock that.

2006 -my 2003 Passat Wagon. Did ok...didn't make off like a bandit but the experience at DVVW was very efficient and no BS.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From the sales side I think buying a car should be enjoyable. However, some sales scum and some

customers are absolutely dead to the concept;-)

A lot of enthusiastic salespeople get worn down and end up not caring.

There are some customers who simply can't let go and enjoy the experience even when the salesperson stands on their head to make it so. Usually looming negotiations are the main culprit. Customer satisfaction is far higher when they know that there is no negotiation. We'd sell S4s and TTs for MSRP, and the customers knew that going in. That meant we could focus on the car and have a good time during the transaction.

I absolutely hated grinders and got to the point where if somebody wanted to split hairs, I would turn them over to another salesperson who came from a culture of splitting hairs on each and every aspect of a deal. Let them go at it for however long it took, and I'd still get half the deal. It just wasn't worth my time - especially with customer satisfaction scores on the line - since those people were never happy in the end anyway.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I enjoy it!

But I never negotiate when I "need" a car. Big mistake. If they know you can drive away at any time it helps to make the process a bit more honest. Be ready for the "bait and switch" moves, and go direct to the manager if it's a car you really want.
Bottom line, YOU have to know what a "good deal" is for you. Once you get it, be happy. Grinders are the worst, just go directly to the bottom line.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is my view ...

On the average, I prefer to deal with older people, people that have bought several cars and that except the fact that we have to make a living as well.
This doesn't mean that they will pay more than younger people, they just don't have the time to shop/deal/compare or whatever else you can think of, as long as they feel they're getting a fair deal they'll go ahead with it.

Younger people on the other hand come into the dealership bearing; print outs, spreadsheets, charts, adds, comparison tests, etc. and don't forget the famous "Car Cost Canada" pricing as well as having visited every Audi dealer in GTA and guess what, the price will not be different than the person above. I don't blame younger people, I'm a consumer as well, I even buy a car every 4 years (my wife leases) and I do want the best deal possible, but as we get older we want more than just a car, we want the whole package, we want service, and we want to be treated fairly.

On the average, I see 2 or more of my customers a day that are in for service and I always have a hello and how are you today. How many of you have gone back to the dealer where you bought your car and the salesperson ignored you?

This has happened several times where I see one of my customers waiting for service and I offer them my car to go for coffee or shopping or whatever.

The buying experience can be enjoyable if we deal with the right person, but don't forget that we have a lot to do how it turns out at the end.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Alex, move to Calgary and you'll make a bundle with that style!!!!....

My first Audi sales guy was like you. My current guy although, a good guy, has never seemed to try to get my repeat business.
I'm one of those 'older' types and you're right I want the whole pkg. My recent Nissan Frontier purchase was mediocre in comparison to what Audi does for you. I came away feeling no particular loyalty to the dealer.
Hugh
Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I enjoy researching not purchasing - my ideal purchase was using the apa.

Called up Agincourt - told them I wanted to pay $1700 over invoice for my A4. Verified that there were no hidden admin charges or freight/pdi markup. Gave them my credit card. Picked up the car when it was ready.

I thought the Mercedes purchase would go like that - I certainly would have preferred that it did. It almost did :-(

The broker I'm dealing with on the S6 is like that - all profits are disclosed up front. He will charge $1500 and would be worth every penny.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll second that...
Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Its fun test driving the cars. My last two cars were purchased over the phone

with a 15-20 minute call to the Sales Manager. A fairly civilised process once I made it clear that: I was ready to buy; knew exactly what I wanted; and knew the invoice price.

I'm not sure if the sales persons appreciated it but I come from the point of view that I only ask for a test drive and am not interested in hearing a sales pitch. I suspect the Audi sales person who got my A4 commission didn't mind at all because, the couple of times I came back to test drive the new offerings, he didn't insist on coming along and even told me to take my time.

Quick Reply: Poll: Aside from hemants and the dealers, who here enjoys the car-purchase experience?