Poll: Aside from hemants and the dealers, who here enjoys the car-purchase experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the broker supply a car for you to test drive?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Does he have a service department in his basement? double
Old 12-12-2006, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That's what dealerships are for. The broker's job is to give you information.

If I've purchased information from the apa and test driven a car at a dealership, I'd usually give the dealership the first crack at matching the price before going to through the apa and their contact.

If the dealership won't match then there's no hard feelings either way (hopefully).

This is a fundamental problem with retail. If you want to check out a new Plasma TV, you'll go to the shop that has the best set up. But you may end up buying online or at Best Buy.

Until retailers start charging for every service this will be an issue. On the other hand, if I walk into retailer X because they have the best display setup, and I need some cables and they happen to have some, maybe the setup has paid for itself in the long run. I dunno.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Does the service department care where you bought your car? :-)

This is the other problem with retail and car dealerships in particular.

Often one part of the business is a break-even/loss leader for the other part.

Most of the money is made in service not in sales.

Maybe the business model is broken?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Hugh, but you should know that a salesperson is as good as the people that they work for ...

it is a well known fact that an employee is a reflecton of the management. If you deal with bad salespeople chances are the manager/gral manager/owners are just the same. Positive attitude and good service start at the top.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

One day you'll realize that the savings will not justify the time spent.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default A place of business costs money. Inventory costs money. Employees to run it cost money.

A broker is usually one or two guys operating out a small office with a phone, fax, and computer. They make a few calls and work the contacts. Then they bounce the numbers off you, and arrange for pick-up. I worked in such an office briefly.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when there is no choice except a broker when the dealer is hopeless. But offering services costs money. I'm not advocating throwing away money, but sometimes availability, knowledge, service, and convenience counts for something. If not, real stores wouldn't exist and we'd all sit at home with our Sears and JC Penny catalogs, ordering away sight unseen;-)
Old 12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Sorry I disagree, using a broker saves both buyer and seller a lot of time.

Two phone calls. One to the apa, another to the dealer. The deal is done. How is that spending time?

As opposed to haggling with a dealer starting at MSRP and talking discount. In my experience that takes much longer.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I agree. Like I said the model is broken.

If I use a dealership but don't buy there, I still may end up putting revenue in Audi's pockets but not the dealers. Either the parent should share some of the dealership cost or the customer should pay for the currently free service.

I wonder how the Sony store works?

Do they care if you buy from the Sony store as long as you buy Sony?
Old 12-12-2006, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

cant argue with that

Quick Reply: Poll: Aside from hemants and the dealers, who here enjoys the car-purchase experience?