This screams lawsuit...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This screams lawsuit...

I can't believe this would happen in Ontario... you would think that everyone would be supportive of someone donating their hair and raising money at the same time.

I am someone who has been affected by cancer in my family (My mother died from leukemia, and had lost her hair due to the chemo). I have also had good friends who have needed to have surgery which involved shaving a head. The fact that a business owner would discriminate against an employee like this disgusts me. What if she HAD cancer, and had undergon chemo? What if HAD lost all her hair?

She did a courageous thing by shaving her head, raising money, and showing her support to those affected by these types of illnesses. I think her employer made a really bad decision.<ul><li><a href="http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/438314">http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/438314</a></li></ul>
Old 06-06-2008, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wrongful dismissal - she has a case
Old 06-06-2008, 06:53 AM
SMO
AudiWorld Member

Ouch. Guess that restaurant's business will be going downhill fast!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:54 AM
SMO
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, but what can she sue for? Job back? Otherwise little damage. Probably not worth it.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would pursue it if that happened to me

She can't be fired based on personal appearance, especially in this situation I believe. The more damaging piece here is the restaurant's image.

And of course, I'd look for a job elsewhere.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm....

"She admits that her employers had "made it very clear" in mid-April that they had concerns about her plan to have her head shaved."

It sounds like the people who sign her paycheque told her that they didn't approve of it well in advance and she tried to stick it to them anyhow by playing chicken with them and now she's trying to stick it to them by going to the newspapers.

The cause is a very worthy one. Most likely, the restaurant owners have a friend, family member, acquaintance, business partner, supplier, or customer that has or had cancer. Likely, they support the cause in one way shape or form - probably like the vast majority who donate or do things that do not involve shaving your head.

Support and empathy for cancer patients and family notwithstanding, they have a business to run. They make the rules regarding proper appearance and attire. She works for them. If she doesn't like it, there's a Blockbuster down the street.

Sorry.
SMO
AudiWorld Member

I agree 100%. But a lawyer is expensive, and she probably won't recover much money.
AudiWorld Super User

Perhaps they may have a lawsuit against her.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Unless she finds a pro bono lawyer... which is possible given the circumstances.

But yeah, whole situation sucks. Maybe making a big stink over the media will hurt the restaurant more in the end and she'll walk away to another job. Like the lady that got fired from Tim Horton's for giving a timbit to a kid, another store hired her shortly after.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They made it clear to her that they had concerns about it

But they never said anything about firing her and their answer have been 'wishy-washy'. In the end it's a battle between she/they said.

Quick Reply: This screams lawsuit...