TOO FAR. Go back to your homeland to pull this sh!t.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolutely Aman, and I feel very strongly that he should have the right to wear a turban.

It is only when the choices that others make begin affecting myself and my family that I chose to speak out and stop those people from doing so. As you had mentioned previously, 300 people a year dying from not wearing helmets isn't an incredibly large number, but the others that don't die and rely on the public health care system for the rest of their lives due to their brain/head/neck/spine injuries will, IMO, cause an additional and unnecessary burden on the system; ultimately being paid for by all of us.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Default I agree with many of those points

it is more dangerous, it is debatable, it is very personal, it is not cut and dry, it may increase healthcare costs though I think even trying to estimate at numbers or dollars is an impossible exercise.

The only reason I posted was because of the phrasing and words used by some. Being on neither side of this fence, I likely wouldn't have repied to the issue....that was really my only gripe. Just wanted everyone to remain crodial towards all community members here.

OK, back to studying 8^)

Aman
Old 02-18-2008, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "If they intend to stir the pot and start asking us to change our rules "

Is a Canadian citizen who is a Sikh immigrant any less a Canadian than you? Why should he get on a boat just because he asks for the freedoms afforded him by Canada and it constitution?

It's ironic that in your long diatribe about being non-racist and a non-bigot make a clear distinction between "them" and "us".

You forget that "them" <b>is</b> "us", that many Canadians are of various religious and cultural backgrounds, and the make-up of Canada is constantly changing. The laws will continue to change to reflect that reality under the Charter.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "I have a problem with me being excluded from the ruling due to religious preference."

Good point. If this dude gets his way, I suspect you can successfully argue discrimination should you get a no-helmet ticket.

I am curious how this plays out in BC, since they already let Sikhs ride without helmets.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It`s very simple. If they can`t live with our rules and laws then they don`t belong here...

We can`t simply change every law written in Canada to accommodate everyone`s way of life or religion. They as new comers have to <b>adapt</b> to our laws and our culture not the other way around... Sorry if this makes you uneasy and yes if they can`t live with that then perhaps they chose the wrong country to live in and yes maybe they should get on the next means of transportation out.

We Canadians bend more than backwards to help and welcome new comers here and all I ask of them is to respect me, our laws and culture.

Is that asking too much?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:16 PM

Default Oh, common .. this case is quite simple really

Why is there a requirement to wear helmets, seat belts, etc in first place ?

I can think of two reasons -

(a) A majority of people does not care about their safety and therefore safety precautions have to be forced onto them. The state is expected to care about a wellbeing of its citizens - that's reason #1

(b) Drivers not wearing helmets or seat belts are far more likely to stress the system in case of the accident. It might be in a form of an extra medical care, an insurance-related litigation or whatever. The state is naturally interested in reducing this stress, and that's reason #2.

So if someone does NOT wear a helmet, it should be permitted given both #1 and #2 are addressed. Former - in a form of a waiver. Latter - in a form of raised insurance premiums or, again, in a form of a waiver.

Forcing religious Sikhs wear helmets won't work. Denying them a right to ride because of that is in fact a discrimination that is <i>implicitly built into an existing law</i>. The law needs to be changed and it's easy to change it in a way that's not tied to a specific religion or a group of people.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:21 PM

In principle I agree. However, the Supreme Court (or some higher court) will be the final judge
Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

winner
Old 02-18-2008, 02:23 PM

He's not asking for a new law, or a special exemption, just his rights within the current one
Old 02-18-2008, 02:27 PM

Default No, but freedom of religion is one our basic rights, and your example is a bit ridiculous...

since it has no basis in law.

Koz.

Quick Reply: TOO FAR. Go back to your homeland to pull this sh!t.