Why the fvck are we going to be on the hook for $4.2B to help the Big 3 when the USA...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why the fvck are we going to be on the hook for $4.2B to help the Big 3 when the USA...

Is only putting up $17.4B.

Is it me or are we contributing a lot more money percentage wise to the car manufacturers when compared to the USA.

I mean the USA is roughly 10 times bigger (economically, population, money ect) then we are and yet we are going to contribute about 25% of their total for a bail out.

Man I hate politicians.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Our car industry is about 20% of US car industry.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bingo!
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Car industry? We're not talking industry here as a whole, but the Big 3.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Same %, might be even higher.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default why the "big 3", shouldn't it be called the failed "2"?

from what I have read, only Chrysler and GM are getting funding in the US bailout. Ford has said in the past it believes it can manage itself out of this downturn, but would like to know if needed (similar to a line of credit) to access some cash, and personally I think that is quite responsible of them. GM on the other hand threatened bankruptcy if the government didn't help them by years end.

Unfortunatly, whole cities would collapse if they didn't help out them. So with all the layoffs and such, this probably would be a cheaper alternative for the government(s).
Old 12-19-2008, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"this probably would be a cheaper alternative for the gover..." Yup, it would cost us 3 times more
Old 12-19-2008, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I dont want to sound offensive but you are obviously from Quebec and don't understand the importance

of the automotive industry to Ontario where it makes up a HUGE percentage of our economy therefore is very important to Canada. My job relies on it as do hundreds of thousands of others.

The bailout was welcomed news to the industry and particularly to our office today.

Again if I came across as rude I apologize but I feel this way because there really is no automotive or parts manufacturing in Quebec and you don't have personal ties to it like me and my family/friends.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maybe if Ontario paid less into the Equalization Fund it could...

have paid for the bailout many times over by itself!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Politics aside I couldn't give a rat's *** about GM, Ford or Chrysler...

Products that a lot of consumers do not want to buy, overpaid management, overpaid employees with perhaps too many benefits, a too strong
union are part of the problem and until they can be worked out I don't think any money from the government will change anything.

Quebec had a GM plant here north of Montreal and both levels of government gave money to GM years back to modernize the plant and despite the Ste-Therese plant winning many internal prizes for their production and quality of assembly ect, ect, GM closed it and a lot of jobs were lost.

Besides if your care so much for the local car companies maybe you should buy their products to support them (and no I'm not being an *** here just saying).

In any case I understand your point about Ontario's predicament with the car industry but there is no guaranty they will survive anyway. This cash infusion may just delay the unavoidable... Bankruptcy.

I think we should loan them the money as opposed to give it to them and have big strings attached to the deal.

Quick Reply: Why the fvck are we going to be on the hook for $4.2B to help the Big 3 when the USA...