Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Can't turn on voice command on A5 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't turn on voice command on A5 Cabrio

Anyone in New York metro area who can help me turn on voice command? No nav option in vehicle, just the blue tooth connection
Old 05-07-2015, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

What model year is your car? I had '10 and '11 S5 Cabs and Audi didn't provide voice functionality with them because of ambient noise when the top was down. It just wasn't available at that time. Maybe someone knows how to hack it?
Old 05-08-2015, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

My understanding is it won't work on cabs due to a setting from the factory. Apparently they dont want to deal with complaints due to malfunctions with wind noise. Perhaps your dealer will turn this feature on if you promise not to complain.

I am surprised audi did not program the car so voice works with the top up and disabled with the top down.

This is one reason we did not order a cab. If audi had a hard top cab we would have got it...if voice worked.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Voice Command is Easily Turned On

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
My understanding is it won't work on cabs due to a setting from the factory. Apparently they dont want to deal with complaints due to malfunctions with wind noise. Perhaps your dealer will turn this feature on if you promise not to complain.

I am surprised audi did not program the car so voice works with the top up and disabled with the top down.

This is one reason we did not order a cab. If audi had a hard top cab we would have got it...if voice worked.
Anyone with Vagcom or as it now called VCDS can turn on the Voice Command module in the A6/S5 Cabriolet. I believe there is locator someplace in the forum of those who have the VCDS and are willing to help.

As far as a hard top Audi Cabriolet, I doubt Audi will EVER do that as it adds unnecessary weight and takes up WAAAY to much room. As currently designed and built the A5/S5 Cab is just about the perfect combination of comfort, room, and practicality as far as convertibles go. I know I can't find another Cab I would even consider under about $125,000.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
Anyone with Vagcom or as it now called VCDS can turn on the Voice Command module in the A6/S5 Cabriolet. I believe there is locator someplace in the forum of those who have the VCDS and are willing to help.

As far as a hard top Audi Cabriolet, I doubt Audi will EVER do that as it adds unnecessary weight and takes up WAAAY to much room. As currently designed and built the A5/S5 Cab is just about the perfect combination of comfort, room, and practicality as far as convertibles go. I know I can't find another Cab I would even consider under about $125,000.
Don't BMW and MB have hard top cabs?
Old 05-08-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS

Agreed. I would never want Audi to make the S5 a hardtop cab since that takes most of the space from the trunk and adds tremendous weight. I've owned two S5 Cabs and they were damn near perfect in terms of usability. Our G37 cab can hold a box of kleenex when the top is down and when it is up it squeaks like nobody's business. I've also read about issues with the 4 Series Cab and the hard top. I like that Audi keeps it simple.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a 2015 A5, and I've seen from previous posts that there's a program to be used but I need a place in either Nassau County or NYC, do you know of any?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My dealer tried to turn on voice command in my 2014 S5 cabrio but couldn't. They claim the module needed was not installed at the factory.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemonpeal
My dealer tried to turn on voice command in my 2014 S5 cabrio but couldn't. They claim the module needed was not installed at the factory.
Untrue. There is no "module". It is just de-activated at the factory for the NA market. You can turn it back on as I and many other people have done. Like AUDIQSS said, find someone in your area with VCDS and they can turn it on for you.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcb44
Anyone in New York metro area who can help me turn on voice command? No nav option in vehicle, just the blue tooth connection
you may have gotten this resolved, however I got my dealership to turn mine on. It cost me $150 and they said they will not warranty it. So if it stops working on me, it won' he covered. It was not activated from day 1 being it's a convertible and will have noise interference. For me, I have no issue. I put up my top and roll windows up. I've used it with windows down. No issues. I'I'm glad I got it turned on. Worth the $150

Quick Reply: Can't turn on voice command on A5 Cabrio