Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

"TECH GURU"...Really?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default "TECH GURU"...Really?

I'm noticing more and more self appointed "Gurus" appearing in the AW forums I follow that DO NOT qualify for this.

Is there no criteria necessary to add this title to one's signature?

In all my years on AW forums, I've only seen one poster that actually qualified for this....the rest are deluding themselves and apparently actually believe they qualify or could not, in good conscience, add that fake badge.

I am NO one's guru and neither are you guys...get over yourselves already and stop adding Ferrari badges to your Kia.

Cheers,

"Post-apocalyptic stunt mechanic"
Old 04-16-2014, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Go ahead. Add one to your name.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The term "Tech Guru" is *NOT* added by the user. That has been added by somebody at AW and I presume that it has to do with the number of info posts that that person has posted.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
The term "Tech Guru" is *NOT* added by the user. That has been added by somebody at AW and I presume that it has to do with the number of info posts that that person has posted.
Even *WORSE* ...reminds me of the reason I left AudiForums...their convoluted rating/point system that they refused to remove from posts...Bye, bye!

Titles are a load of crap. I call doctors by their first names. If they asked to be called "doctor", I remind them that I don't work for them, THEY work for ME.

I do NOT want this title...having provided hundreds of correct answers to posters all over the world and posting numerous pictorial tutorials not available anywhere else does NOT earn me a title...no more than some OBVIOUSLY flawed AW system should title those who wear the badge. If that title were to be added to my name, I would leave AW just as quickly as I left AudiForums.

All I've ever expected is a little appreciation (a simple "thanks") from the posters I may have helped.

My point is that newcomers FALSELY believe that "titled" members are the top source of correct information.
I first joined AW to ask a few questions (after the mass exodus of '09), which unfortunately, for the most part, went unanswered or were answered incorrectly by some long time members, INCLUDING a couple of "Guru's". I stayed to start correcting bad info from these posters and to answer the numerous unanswered questions from other posters.

To this day, including today, there are still clueless "Guru's" providing incorrect info or no info at all....no need to name them...they know who they are or are too delusional to notice the mistake on their signature.

If AW is doing this "random" titling, I'd love to see the mathematically formula that titles fry cooks as master chefs.

Last edited by silverd2; 04-20-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by silverd2
My point is that newcomers FALSELY believe that "titled" members are the top source of correct information.
You are right. This is not a perfect system, but it is much better than no system. Trusting any guru here is much better than random choice if it is anything serious. We all know that doctors are making mistakes, but our chances with them are much better than with tribes medicine man. We thrust Audi engineers knowing that some of their art is far from perfect. It is all game of numbers in this imperfect world. Off course everybody is welcomed to challenge any guru's advice. That would just help them to learn and be more of a help to others.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mishar
You are right. This is not a perfect system, but it is much better than no system. Trusting any guru here is much better than random choice if it is anything serious. We all know that doctors are making mistakes, but our chances with them are much better than with tribes medicine man. We thrust Audi engineers knowing that some of their art is far from perfect. It is all game of numbers in this imperfect world. Off course everybody is welcomed to challenge any guru's advice. That would just help them to learn and be more of a help to others.
I challenge AW to explain the system...and neither one of us is in a position to speak for AW.

All posters have a right to know...just like ANYONE who carries a title of any kind has an obligation to prove it's validity.

....and you willingly carry a title on all your posts that you can't explain?

Wow...just, wow

Last edited by silverd2; 04-22-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, speaking about titles, I am Master of Science, Automotive Engineering, with 40 years of experience, not including 10 years of messing with my cars before I graduated. Guru title is just a little cherry on top.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mishar
Well, speaking about titles, I am Master of Science, Automotive Engineering, with 40 years of experience, not including 10 years of messing with my cars before I graduated. Guru title is just a little cherry on top.

So, are those mere words the criteria on which AW based it's cherry placement?
Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You are right. My title should be Don Quixote.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Titles are fine but when it comes to mechanical advice, adding a title like that should only be done when some vetting of the member's qualifications has been completed.

Quick Reply: "TECH GURU"...Really?