4.2 w/ whipple

Old 01-14-2012, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 w/ whipple

So I am a terrible person. I was wanting to buy a 2000 A6 with a 4.2 and blown tranny for a cheap fix and a reliable car. Turns out that I'm dead set on doing a 6 speed swap. Now the other night I was cruising along on Craigslist and saw someone selling their Whipple off of their 2003 Cobra. Needless to say, I am about to head out and pick it up from the guy for dirt cheap.

Now 1 of 2 things will happen with this Whipple unit. Either I am going to end up getting this Audi and design an air gap, yet low rise intake to fit under-hood with no clearance issues. If I were to do this, I would ask around here and other Audi forums to see if enough people are interested in a group buy. If not, it is going atop my bullet-proof Olds.

What ch'all think?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I'd do something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supercharger-for-Northstar-4-4L-DOHC-LC3-V8-2006-09-Cadillac-STS-V-and-XLR-V-/281317872950?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item417fda1536&vxp=mtr
Includes laminova cores and 0 mile charger. Fab up a pulley adapter to go in front of crank pulley...tight but doable methinks.

Cut off the included intake runners then insert a 3/8" plate of 6061 between the top and bottom of the unit and weld up short runners and injector bosses to the bottom of that spacer plate; fab a simple adapter plate for throttle body; plumb up pump and cooler for laminova cores, and Bob's your uncle. Oh yeah, upsize injectors and re-flash/swap or piggyback the stock ecu. Lower the compression and forge the rods while you are at it (S8 block with head spacers?). PITA if you asked me. But there's the mountain...Climb it...and take lot's of pictures.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Id wonder how you would ever get the fueling you need without sending it to a tuner and spending a grand or more having it tuned. You cant just put it one and expect the engine management system to jump right in and see boost and add more fuel. Sounds like alot of work for an engine never designed to handle boost that already makes plenty of power.

Search this Thread