Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Home Theater & Electronics Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2004, 03:49 AM   #1
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 2093

Default Difference between Yamaha RXV and HTR receivers?

I never have understood the distinction between these two lines of products. They seem to have the same feature sets and specifications.

What's the scoop?

2009 VW CC
CC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:57 AM   #2
hwj
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 784

Default They're for different retail channels.

HTR = "consumer" channel, stuff sold in Best Buy and Fry's and the like. Used to be the "RV" line.

RXV = "dealer" channel, stuff sold in A/V specialty stores that can offer a higher level of customer service and support than the big box places.

I'm sure some of the folks here who actually sell this stuff for a living can comment more specifically on why the manufacturers need to deal with each channel on different terms.

Current: 2001 BMW M5
Former: 2000 Audi S4
hwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:39 AM   #3
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 5261

Default HTR: Plug-in and forget about it. RXV: tweakable and more refined.

HTR - for those who don't read the manual
RXV: for those who want to get the best out of their system and are willing to get to know the gear.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:24 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 474

Default It may have to do with price protection

Even before the days of internet retailing, was catalog mail-order, such as Crutchfield, Service Merchandise, etc. Yamaha would offer the HTR series to catalogs (and eventually e-commerce websites) while the brick-and-mortar stores would carry the RXV line. In many instances they were exactly the same products with the different nomenclature. I don't know if this is still the case, but I suspect it is.

Since catalogs and websites could offer lower prices, Yamaha did not want to hurt their retail partners. So by making the names different, customers could not do direct comparisons and could not request price protection.

Ever notice how bedding stores all offer the "guaranteed lowest price" on matresses? That's because no two chains carry the same products. Yamaha does the same thing with their receivers.

-- P.

Sold:
1998.5 B5 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport

Sept. 11, 2001 -- We will not forget.

UrA4 -- 1998.5 1.8tqms
GIAC 1 bar, APR exhaust, Turbo5 BPV, Neuspeed shifter, OEM Sport springs, Bilstein Sport shocks, AWE-DTS
AWE VDO Nightvision Boost gauge, Euro projectors, Philips HID, Alpine V12 MRV-F357, DLS Sub, Focal 130K
Oettinger RE 17x8, Toyo T1-R 225/45-17, ECS Tuning Stage II Brakes
Pelican Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:49 AM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 2093

Default question about the online retailers

I had been told that Yamaha would not honor the product warranty unless it was purchased from an authorized seller. So for an RXV receiver that would be one of the brick-and-mortar stores. Allegedly, all of the RXV receivers for sale on Ebay listed as "new in the box with warranty card" are truly new, but Yamaha will not honor the warranty to the end-user. Any truth to this?

Do the HTR receivers sold by the Crutchfield's of the world receive a valid warranty from Yamaha (without going back through Crutchfield for service)?

2009 VW CC
CC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:10 AM   #6
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 474

Default To be honest, I do not know

I can only assume that a product purchased through eBay would not carry a mfr's warranty, and that you would have to go through the seller if a warranty issue arose.

It is the inherent risk -- save a few bucks, at the expense of your warranty. I don't buy extended warranties on anything either, which is in some way the same type of situation.

Regarding Crutchfield and the HTR series, I am pretty certain that Yamaha will warranty those items. The HTR series was created specifally for mail-order channels.

--P.

Sold:
1998.5 B5 A4 1.8T Quattro Sport

Sept. 11, 2001 -- We will not forget.

UrA4 -- 1998.5 1.8tqms
GIAC 1 bar, APR exhaust, Turbo5 BPV, Neuspeed shifter, OEM Sport springs, Bilstein Sport shocks, AWE-DTS
AWE VDO Nightvision Boost gauge, Euro projectors, Philips HID, Alpine V12 MRV-F357, DLS Sub, Focal 130K
Oettinger RE 17x8, Toyo T1-R 225/45-17, ECS Tuning Stage II Brakes
Pelican Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:05 AM   #7
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 5261

Default Plenty of truth. Just visit the manufacturer's website and they'll warn of it openly

Many non-authorised web traders will suggest the product is covered, but the manufacturer will tell you otherwise.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, crutchfieldcomhtr, htr, rxv, yamaha