New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

Fuse 29 blowing after Cylinder head replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse 29 blowing after Cylinder head replaced

Hi !

Just finished a Reinstalling cylinder head after gasket blew on a 2003 Audi Quarttro Wagon, 1.8 L turbo w manual transmission. As we were beginning job, we did get a spark to ground as we were taking the coil packs off. Had forgotten to disconnect negative terminal. Head was machined as it had warped and shop replaced most parts including cam chain tensioner. After reinstall, car will crank but will not start and blows fuse 29 instantly when start to crank. Fuse 29 in owners manual is called 'Engine Management' and in other Google search is called 'Engine Timing'. At first I thought the cam position sensor circuit was the problem, so I disconnected it, but fuse still blew. Then I disconnected cam tensioner connector and the fuse does not blow. Checked cable from sensor and no obvious short before it goes into wire bundle. Any help would br greatly appreciated. (Looks like the tensioner has a removable sensor bolted to it and connector attaches to it). Any help on how to check tensioner would be greatly appreciated or any other ideas!!! Thanks !!!!
Old 08-20-2016, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Forgot to mention we still have front clip in service position w some connectors disconnected
Old 08-26-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thought I would give an update. Further tinkering showed it was sn intermittent short. Once I realized it was 'not' the cam sensor or the tensioner chain sensor, then I went right to the connectors at the coils packs. Externally the connectors looked perfect. Once disconnected they were tight n clean. But, when I pulled back the rubber accordion boot on the base if the connector, it was a horror show: the insulation on the 4 wires had become brittle w age/ heat and had crumbled. This left exposed wires at the base of the connectors and green corrosion was setting in. This car probably should have shorted out a year ago. But it lasted Til we moved wires for cylinder head replacement. Anyway, as I looked around the net, this is a very common problem and the boots should be inspected every year.