New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

Help a new guy out

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a new guy out

I'm new here, and could really use some help. I bought a 2000 a4 avant quattro 1.8t a couple weeks ago. Had it inspected before I bought it and they said it was in really good shape. A couple days later, I get the low oil pressure light. I have a local mechanic fix that, sludge, and they said my water pump was leaking. I decided I'd rather not keep spending the money for the mechanic to do it, so I took it upon myself to do the job, with a little help from some of the online diys. Mind you, this is my first foray into anything this extensive as far as wrenching goes. Thought it would be a good opportunity to learn a bit about my new car.

My issue is that when I got to it, the timing marks did not line up. They weren't even that close. I already took the old timing belt off, along with the tensioner. Do I need to realign them somehow before putting the new belt on? Can I? I'm in Riverside, CA. If anyone is nearby and willing to help, that would be amazing.

Attachment 60103
Attached Thumbnails Help a new guy out-img_1557.jpg   Help a new guy out-img_1556.jpg