New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

My Q7 experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Q7 experience

After experiencing 2 jettas, thought it was time for a Q7. driving was great for the most part. the 3.0 T pulled ok after the rpms got to about 2000. But starting was really slow. I leased for 4 years. First oil change at 3000 miles. Oil alarm went off at around 9000 miles. Missing 6 quarts of oil. no leaks. Hmmm. put oil in it and went to dealer the Collection in Coral Gables Fl. Oil consumption was normal, so they said. Little they knew they were talking to a mechanical engineer with lots of engine experience and oil management. Did not accepted excuse. But nothing they were willing to do. At 15000 miles another oil alarm. another 6 quarts missing. Same excuse, same result. In interim, several things stopped working, all electrical. Got them fixed.At 20000 miles oil change at dealership. oil was not to be found on deep stick, but dealer said nothing. However two days after service, brake pad alarm went off. Brought to dealer. Front pads and discs needed and rear pads they said. Sticker shock $1750. Went to local parts store and for 123 dollars got all four pads and sensors. Replaced them myself in about 1and 1/2 hours. My Toyota 4 runner, 500 libs heavier lasted 140.000 miles. Sent letter to VW and Audi head quarters. No solution to nothing. Enough I said. Sold it to CarMax. Got out of this expensive junk, badly designed SUV. Got a Lexus RX350. Now that is quality fit and finished, plus a flawless history. Don't get a Q7 or any Audi for that matter. Dealer and factory support is horrible. They failed to recognize the engine had one or two piston rings broken and they were the reason for oil consumption. Hope this helps into your next purchase decision. By the way, BMW and Mercedes are not any better, after talking to friends that had them... German car quality and design is not as good as portrait in the car magazines. Makes you wonder how much they pay these magazines to hide the truth.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I know it helps to vent but why to us? For what it is worth my wife had an RX300 two cars back but since has had an A6 and now a TDI Q7. We put 85000 miles on the A6 and now have 98000 miles on the Q7. They both always went the full 10000 miles between oil changes without any oil addition. We get about 50000 miles from brake pads on the Q7 and it is getting rotors for the first time when I do the brakes soon. (I do mine myself too)
The Q7 has never had an expensive repair though it did get an airbag module while under warranty. The A6 had to have an advanced headlight at about 75000 miles. That was $1000.+ . I really expect to drive the Q7 to 160000 miles or so. (3 more years)
I bought myself new S5 back in February. So far it has been perfect. I've put 11000 miles on it in 7 months. I would rate our dealership here in Birmingham as well above average. I have never had a serious complaint. ( I did have an issue with them on a Porsche but that was an entirely different department with a different service writer.)
In fairness To Toyota , Lexus. I had a 2007 Toyota Tundra and it was very solid. Only one issue with a noisy accessory drive. That was fixed under a service bulletin. The RX300 we had never needed anything except a rear main seal because it was leaking. That got fixed free too. All in all we have had pretty good service from all of our cars over the past decade or so. (Well except that old TT that I take to the track. I have broken it a FEW times :-/ )