New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

New Member and First Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member and First Project Car

Hello, everyone!

I've been a VW/Audi lover for some time now. Just got a 2000 TT, (180HP, non-quattro) and have decided that I need to finally have a project car. I would very much like to have some input and guidance, to make the process as simple as possible.

My plan is to purchase a second engine, and start building it while I use the car as a daily driver. I would like to keep 2 engines, for both tinkering, and to have as a backup. I plan to upgrade it as a "performance" modification. I'm thinking 350-400HP is a nice number to work towards.

I am not a mechanic. I'm mechanically apt, but this will be an education for me. I could really use some help determining the best route for building engine #2. It is my guess that I'm going to need forged rods and pistons, and ?. What is the best way to source these items? I have access to a shop and machines, so I will do what I can, and hire out what I can't.

I'm doing this slow, so I'm not planning on dumping the cost of a new car on right away. I will upgrade anything that needs fixed with performance parts. Thusfar, I have already upgraded the control arms, and timing components, as part of routine maintenance. Where I go from here is up in the air.

A Bentley manual is on my priority list. Other than that, I'm opening up the floor. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance...
Old 03-21-2015, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I should have made my questions clearer... When I said "sourcing these items", what I'm really after, is a good starting point for the engine.