FasTrak question: Can you use an old transponder with a newly purchased car?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FasTrak question: Can you use an old transponder with a newly purchased car?

I have a transponder and account already, but I've just purchased a new car. But I'm not allowed to add the new car to the transponder on file without a license plate # and I won't have the new number until I receive the new plates.

I'd like to be able to drive the new car and not have to go back to paying cash in the interim.

I'll be giving FasTrak customer service a call tomorrow, but anyone have any experience with this same issue?

TIA.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 PM

Yes. (or we did when we got our Golf)
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 AM

It will work fine. The system takes photos if it doesn't sense a transponder.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default free toll :D Yeah just hold the transponder up and go less than 40mph -depending on how good the

batteries on the transponder are. If it doesn't beep, you got free toll although you'll have a mugshot on file 25mph will always make it beep.

How we added a couple of cars on my wife's transponder is we went a little too fast and they sent us a friendly reminder with very clear pictures. No fines, just add the info on the transponder and mail back.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Since you called them today, you now know to report the new car...(nt)
Old 03-03-2008, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It doesn't work well in the lower corners of the windshield of my GTi...

works best laying on the center of the dash or mounted up high behind the rear view mirrror.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default fastrack is self-service online...

<ul><li><a href="https://www.bayareafastrak.org/">https://www.bayareafastrak.org/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-04-2008, 10:50 PM

Default I think people aren't understanding what I'm saying.

The problem: I want to add my new car to my existing FasTrak account and transponder, but FasTrak requires a license plate number to do so. But since it's a new car, and I have yet to receive my license plates, I can't add the car to the account (at least online.)

My question is, has anybody been in this situation and what have they done about it? Do you just suck it up and go in the cash lane until the plates show up? Do you just use the old transponder and say, "oh well" if the bridge's transponder system is down? (This is actually what I've done the last couple days as I figure there's no way to track you down if you don't have your plates yet.)

I've actually been busy at work the last couple of days so I haven't had a chance to call the FasTrak customer service line. I just want to hear what other people in this situation have done.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ^^^Too honest

:-)

Blow through there man...

DD
Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was in the same situation. Just use the FasTrak - you'll be fine.

When you get your license plates, you can just update your info online.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FasTrak question: Can you use an old transponder with a newly purchased car?