if i get rear ended and go through insurance... there should be no chance of my rates going up

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default if i get rear ended and go through insurance... there should be no chance of my rates going up

since i wasn't at fault correct?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default From my extensive experience...

...with 3 rear end collisions, one fender bender, and a side swipe from a garbage truck: No, your rates won't go up. I've never been at fault and my insurance rate hasn't changed. My body shop is on "speed dial", though. :-)
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only if the other party will be responsible for the damage. If not, if may be your comprehensive
Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Your rates should not go up...

However, if the other party or their insurer is disputing liability, you will have to part with your deductible until the other party or their insurance company pays your insurance company. Your insurance company has to go to bat for you to get your deductible back (they call it subrogation). If the other party is uninsured, you'll be SOL on the deductible for your collision coverage and may have to take the responsible party to small claims court if they don't pay you for your deductible.

Your insurance comany in CA is required to send you an "at-fault" letter if they determine you were 50% or greater responsible for the collision (and include the factual basis for their decision and percentage of fault). If you are found "at-fault" they can bump the rate for a chargeable accident and add a further bump if there is an injury.

Comprehensive is actually "other than collision" coverage, which pays for theft, burglary, hitting an animal, tree falls on car, glass breakage, etc.