Looking for some insight Nor Cal folks...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some insight Nor Cal folks...

Hey everyone my name is Scott I'm a former forum post ***** in B6 boards and regular in my Tristate area regional forum.

Lately I have had the urge to pick up and relocate my life. I'm running down the list of potential locations starting at the top. Although it may seem like a lot I've been looking online at Seattle, WA, Eugene,OR, Nor Cal and possibly CO. San Fransisco holding the strongest so far.

I suppose I am just looking for some insight and personal thoughts and feelings towards where you live. I am going to be catching a flight out there in Aug so I'd like to get any idea what and where to look once I land.

Main focus is location. I am self employed and at this stage of the game I have the ability to get up and go. Longer I wait the harder it will be.

With that said, if anyone recommends any area for homes or condos it would be much appreciated. I haven't set myself up with a budget yet and as odd as it sounds I generally finagle that later on.

I look forward to your replies. Thanks for your time!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:06 AM

Default how old are you? married?

if you're under 35 and single...you need to live in the city (SF).

as for the bay area in general...it'd the best place i've visited in the US...and i get to live here!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in South San Jose...I like it a lot...
Old 07-10-2006, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you do for a living, how old, and what are your hobbies?
Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Moved from Ohio to Montana to go to school and moved around the west afterwards

Emigrated to Canada for five years, lived in various other western states and then moved to Santa Barbara for another degree and like you then made a list of where I wanted to live. My work generally dictates living in a city and after crossing off all the others San Francisco was it. New York, a mecca for what I do, was too big, too crowded, too everything. Chicago/Minneapolis..well, that's the midwest..Denver, that's really just a large cowpoke of a town..LA? OMG no! Everytime I roll into that forsaken place I question it's existence. Seattle is pretty cool, back then it was a bit too small to support me, dunno about now.
San Francisco...It's actually a small place, but stll big enough. 7X7 miles. less than 800,000. And yet it's the most european of all US cities. I love the fact that from my place, which is very close to downtown, that within in 15 fifteen minutes of driving you can not even know a city is within a hundred miles.
Don't let the cost of living get in the way. It really only functions as a way of getting rid of people that can't make it. And I'm not talking money here, it's a Darwinian thing.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:42 AM

NorCal = Closest thing to Paradise in the US.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 29, exotic dancer, straight but open minded

:-P
Old 07-10-2006, 08:37 AM

Default My vote is for San Francisco.

I lived there for around 8 years and moved down to the South Bay(Santa Clara) about a year and a half ago. I still haven't adjusted.

It really depends on what you are looking for. We moved down here because my daughter is almost 3 now and there were zero resources for kids in the city. Getting into a day care and/or pre-school is a joke. That doesn't sound like it's a concern for you now.

On the peninsula, I would look at Burlingame, Palo Alto, and maybe Menlo Park. If you like to live in the trees and really don't have a budget, check out Woodside or Portola Valley.

I still don't know a lot about the South Bay, but Los Gatos is really the only place that I have been that had an old community vibe. Rivermark in Santa Clara is pretty cool because you can still walk to get food and stuff. Same with Santana Row which is in San Jose. It can feel a bit Las Vegas at times, but it's probably the only "hip" place in San Jose.

Parts of Oakland(east bay) are nice too. If you want the transistional urban/suburban feel, look at Rockridge or Piedmont. This is where most of the people in San Francisco that have kids end up.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ditto. San Francisco is such a small town, yet worldly. HIT!

Biased? Yeah probably. 8-)
Old 07-10-2006, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It all depends what you are looking for...

1. It is expensive as hell to live here.
2. The weather is fantastic and worth every penny
3. You are centered between three of the best road courses in the world (Laguna Seca, Infineon and Thunderhill, not to mention only a few hours away from Buttonwillow)
4. There are several good Audi dealers and aftermarket shops in the bay area
5. Some of the best skiing and one of the longest ski seasons on earth
6. Great surfing (bring your wetsuit)
7. Plenty of jobs.
8. Sia lives here!
Etc, etc....

Quick Reply: Looking for some insight Nor Cal folks...