Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Community Discussion > Off-topic Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2000, 10:36 AM   #1
Account #: 1262

Default How much should I feed my 8 month old cat?

I know that there are a number of Audi driving cat owners on this board, so here goes my question

I have an 8 month old apartment cat (spayed).
Up until recently I just made sure that there was always food in its bowl. However I've noticed that she's grown a sort of a "hanging pouch" on its lower abdomen. Almost like a marsupial hehe. It's cute and she's not overweight, but I know of many obese indoor cats so in trying to avoid that I decided to cut down on her food. So now I just give it a handful of dry kitten formula 'pellets' in the morning and one in the evening. Her bowl is always empty at feeding time. Is this okay or should I reduce it to only once a day?
How much is appropriate for her situation is what I'm asking.

She still partakes in daily sessions of running around and playing, and generally just going nuts.
It even knocked down the Christmas tree once
Gus
GusS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2000, 11:05 AM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 22

Default The "hanging pouch" is normal on a female cat. Not an indication of being overfed.

Both of our females have this hanging pouch which is funny to watch swing sid-toside when they run. Males do not have this pouch.

I would check with a vet for proper feeding amounts. I don't recal what we fed our cats at that age.
Audi2Ody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2000, 11:21 AM   #3
Account #: 8831

Default What kind of cat is she and how much does she weigh??

Old 12-20-2000, 04:22 PM   #4
AudiWorld Uber User
Account #: 1158

Default Give it all the dry food it wants...

Cats don't usually like dry food much, so they'll only eat it when they are hungry. My roomate has a dry food and water silo that he tops off once a week. The cat has no weight problems and the lazy turd doesn't get excercize, ever. It simply eats when it wants. I've found that it seems to have about 6 little mini-meals a day.

| 2013 S4 P+ | Moonlight Blue | Black&Silver Alcantara | Flappy Paddle Gearbox | Sport Diff | ADS | Google Nav | B&O | CF | Wireless Key | SC Badges |
Bobby Kinstle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2000, 05:01 PM   #5

Default It's a tabby and it weighs about 8-9 lbs

Old 12-20-2000, 06:17 PM   #6
Account #: 8831

Default the weight sounds that it's perfect for a 8 month old cat...

Old 12-20-2000, 08:51 PM   #7
Account #: 10416

Default Reason for the hanging pouch...

...any female that has been spayed will have this hanging pouch primarily because the muscle is cut where they go in for the operation and it never heals back fully, so you get a bit of a 'kitty gut'.
Old 12-20-2000, 08:53 PM   #8
Account #: 10416

Default I believe this is not the best way to feed a cat.

I was told by my vet to feed twice a day, in the morning and evening, a set amount of food. Otherwise, the cat could, might not necessarily, develop weight problems later on.
Old 12-20-2000, 09:16 PM   #9

Default Re: How much should I feed my 8 month old cat?

Thanks a lot for your answers guy.
I found out what that pouch was and I'll keep feeding her twice a day set amounts of dry food, with the occasional weekend soft treat.

Is it a consensus that tuna (the made for human consumption) is what they love most? Can this cause any complications if fed not more than once a week?
Old 12-21-2000, 12:21 AM   #10
Account #: 64

Default You obviously haven't met the cats I adopted last winter!

The lady that had them would leave on business trips for a week or more at a time and left them with a self filling food bowl. Both were overweight, but the male was just hideously large. Between the two of them, I feed them about 1/2 cup light food in the morning, and 1/2 cup at night, and although they have lost a little weight, the male is still way, way, way too big. He would just keep eating if I didn't control the food. Most cats are pretty good about controlling their food intake themselves, but some can't, so you have to do it for them. One thing is for sure: If a cat is not kept busy and is left alone a lot, then they run a higher risk of overeating. To be safe, I would not recommend giving a cat more than one days worth of food at one time. If they eat all of it right away, then they should probably be put on a two time daily schedule so that they get fed regularly, but not too much at one time.
ChuckH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 12:21 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
8month, amount, breast, cat, change, cooking, eat, feed, feeding, food, month, oold, regular, rotissary, time, turkey, weigh