Other (Non-Audi) Autos Discussion Discussion forum for non-Audi vehicles

Audi's controversial Super Bowl ad

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by savi01
I don't understand why there is such negative feedback for the ad.. I'm sure the message could have been presented differently but still, all the calls for a boycott and the insane reactions from people.. I just don't get it.

It seems that these days, everyone just wants something to jump on and tear apart and get angry over, and let their thumbs go wild on twitter. The sensitivity level is unbelievable.
+1 to that
Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Ive never heard of that law. Apparently neither has any woman in the US complaining about making less than their male counterpart.

Regardless, I dont think less of the ad, I think it's timely and relevant.
It has been the law in the US for over 50 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Pay_Act_of_1963
Old 02-03-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe there was something in the audio I missed but I thought it was great. Inclusive of women in the car/sports scene. What's the issue?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think it's controversial, especially since Audi chose to tell it from a Dads perspective. I like it and I think it has a good message.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenneth Peter Delgado
Maybe there was something in the audio I missed but I thought it was great. Inclusive of women in the car/sports scene. What's the issue?
It has nothing to with the Audi cars. Audi's job is to promote its cars not to stir the political pot by bald-faced pandering. I agree with an earlier poster that this ad won't sell more cars and will rub some people, me included, the wrong way.

For what it's worth, I have worked in professional environments with women for many years and have never observed or been made aware of any differences in pay between men and women doing the same or similar jobs. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but why is it any of Audi's business? Bad move in my view.

Last edited by KevinB656; 02-03-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of the ad because it does not seem relevant to the Audi brand or a particular vehicle. Budweiser did a similar ad that I didn't love but at least it tells a meaningful story that relates to the brand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmlRtpzwos
Old 02-03-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

The real question is what is Audi's end goal with the ad? To make a statement about the alleged inequality of women's pay or value? Or to sell Audi vehicles? If the latter, the ad has little relevance to or creates a desire for prospective purchasers. Unless it's a father considering purchasing an A8 for his prepubescent daughter which would presumably sit in the garage until she's old enough to get a driver's license.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Audi should do a different ad explaining while their customers cars are all held at the port and not being released to the dealerships. Now that would be a better ad.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_NJ
I think Audi should do a different ad explaining while their customers cars are all held at the port and not being released to the dealerships. Now that would be a better ad.
Good point.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frank_NJ
I agree with gguy, good point.

The ad could have a diverse group of women and men peering through a chain link fence at a storage lot full of A4's wondering if theirs is in there.

Last edited by Q5 Bob; 02-03-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Audi's controversial Super Bowl ad