Other (Non-Audi) Autos Discussion Discussion forum for non-Audi vehicles

Audi's controversial Super Bowl ad

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
It also didn't seem to be a "shopper's ad" either -- on the other hand, I didn't see any evidence that the purpose of the ad was actually to SELL anything. If the ad was meant to sell, well, it didn't seem to know what it was selling other than some kind of a vague (and socially relevant) concept.
I didnt feel that any of the auto ads were "shoppers" ads. They all had some sort of message. While the Kia ad was humorous, it didnt make me want to buy a Kia. The Honda ad was just weird with the yearbook thing. The only ad that really showcased a car was Alfa, but maybe thats only because Im predisposed to desiring the Guilia.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Even "message" ads are a form of marketing. Those types of ads are designed to make one feel warm and fuzzy (with the right audience) about their brand. Companies are rarely in the business to do anything but present them in a desirable light and with luck, if effective, ultimately sell their products. Except in very rare cases, a goal to be socially responsible would be secondary to the bottom line.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Even "message" ads are a form of marketing. Those types of ads are designed to make one feel warm and fuzzy (with the right audience) about their brand. Companies are rarely in the business to do anything but present them in a desirable light and with luck, if effective, ultimately sell their products. Except in very rare cases, a goal to be socially responsible would be secondary to the bottom line.
I totally get that. however, there have been many times I can remember a funny commercial or a jingle but have no clue what the company was. For instance, I really liked the message in one of the commercials last night. There was no name of the company, just a logo. I had no idea what the logo was so I forgot about the commercial. It wasnt until I was keeping up on my social media that the commercial was discussed and the company was AirBnB. Ive never used that company, nor seen its logo before. Unfortunately, there might be a lot of people who also dont know the company but would use them based on the commercial but dont have the means to figure out who that logo belonged to. That, to me, is a waste of $5 million.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Then there is this guy's take. I'm not sure I'm deep enough to have seen all of that.
The Real Message Behind Audi's Super Bowl Ad Isn't Exactly An Uplifting One
Old 02-07-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Then there is this guy's take. I'm not sure I'm deep enough to have seen all of that.
The Real Message Behind Audi's Super Bowl Ad Isn't Exactly An Uplifting One
If an analysis of an ad takes longer to read than the time to watch it, it can probably be ignored. This is a great example of over analysis in spades.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Video just release on Youtube react channel of kids watching superbowl commercials. The Audi commercial was one of them.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Recruitment & Corporate PR

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The real question is what is Audi's end goal with the ad? To make a statement about the alleged inequality of women's pay or value? Or to sell Audi vehicles? If the latter, the ad has little relevance to or creates a desire for prospective purchasers. Unless it's a father considering purchasing an A8 for his prepubescent daughter which would presumably sit in the garage until she's old enough to get a driver's license.
This is not a "customer/buyer" ad but is aimed at different audiences.

Car companies need to recruit more women as engineers (they happen to be good at it but don't always get their fair share of interviews and hirings) so this ad says Audi wants women as recruits. Audi/VAG need corporate P/R to show it's not an old boys club and this works for investors who are now paying much more attention to ESG.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the titles after the video was over it looks like equal pay and Lesbianism are the subjects of some of the other Superbowl advertisements.