Pacific Northwest Discussion

Winter Tire Wear

Old 01-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tire Wear

Hello!

I run a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4s on my S4 through winter. With the exception of this recent snow, I've found traction to be bullet-proof in snow and ice. However, on Sunday coming back from the airport (PDX) on 84 I felt myself sliding on ice. Not. Fun. Yesterday morning I couldn't get out of my driveway (which is uphill to the street and a bit steep at the top), and when I did in the afternoon, found myself sliding again on the road (I live in a pretty hilly area). Maybe I'm driving in more ice than in years past, but my confidence in my tires has been shaken. Tread depth is healthy. My only thought is that running these tires through last year's very warm winter did... something. I mean, I'm sure it wore the tires down more than usual, but could the rubber compound somehow have been altered? Could age be a factor? These tires are in their 4th season. It sounds ridiculous, but I just don't get it. These tires were rock stars, still have good tread depth, and now suddenly they're not doing the job.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Good depth for a summer tire is not the same as good depth for a winter tire. As the tires wear they will have less ability to give you good traction. Also the consistency of the snow makes a big difference. And ice is ice not snow. Good winter tires will help in ice but only a little. Studded tires work much better on ice. Tire size makes a difference as well. You want the skinniest tire you can get for winter.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I hadn't realized that re: tire depth on winters. Mine measured 8/32 all 'round when I swapped them in November. I think maybe I'm just expecting too much of my tires. I thought I remembered having good traction over icy patches in years past, but perhaps not. Certainly not the case this year...