Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

42Draft Turbo Back Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 42Draft Turbo Back Nightmare

Have a 2002 Audi TT Quattro, and installed an intake and exhaust from 42 Draft Design. Tons of power, but horrid noises and therefore a total crap car now to drive and would rather have it stock if this is what I have to put up with. Replaced engine mount, trans mount, dogbone (poly type), not to mention a new turbo was put on as well (borg and warner stock etc, and the noises were with both).

For the life of me I can't understand why they placed it against the heat shield (to its right) and against the cross member (below it). It mostly sounds like it is jacking itself up on the crossmember due to how loud it is.

Has anyone seen this problem, and what was the fix? I don't know what else to do since the downpipe was constructed so absurdly lame. I am tempted to have an exhaust shop heat and bend it where it SHOULD BE, but ****!! The downpipe would have to be removed AND I would have to pay more money for the product that already costed a fortune!? I am about to start a dang suit to get my money back for something that obviously doesn't fit my car, but I want to give it one last shout out to see what else we could try (note, I am not cutting away my subframe or removing my heat shield. There is MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM if it was just designed right.).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow, this sounds horrible. I was just considering their 3"turbo back exhaust.

Has the company that made it tried to help fix the problem?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default New down pipe

They asked for pictures of the exhaust, so I had to climb around under the car taking pictures of the problem the best I could, and after sending them we talked, and they finally decided the downpipe must have been off somewhere or something is different with my car, which is hard to believe. Anyway, they built another downpipe and sent it.

I have yet to install it since I did the work at my friends house and the turbo/downpipe bolts are a pain to get to (best through the passenger side wheel well with extensions on an air ratchet for two, and the last by hand). I will post the results after I get it swapped out, hopefully this week, but we will see.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well at least it sounds like they are going to make it right. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Got the downpipe installed over the weekend finally. It fits perfectly where it should have. The perfect amount of spacing exists between the drive shaft, the heat shield, the sub frame, and the downpipe itself. Amazing.

It also allowed the exhaust tips to swing away from being jammed up against my body into the correct position. Spacing between exhaust tips and body is now perfect.

It was a hassle to go through everything I had to in order to get them to finally send me the correct downpipe, and it was a pain having to swap it out again, but in the end, the job is finally complete. Maybe that is what matters most to some? PersonallyI, hate hoops when I know it is the part I am pointing at.

Best part is now that it is done, no more grinding/vibrating noises between shifts (up or down), and instead, nothing but sweet exhaust notes. This exhaust sounds so good it is ridiculous, hahaha. A sheer pleasure to drive.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How was the old stock downpipe? Was the flex section restricting the flow at all? I saw a scary picture of a collapsed flex section, just wondering how common that is.

Glad it is sorted out.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The stock downpipe collapsed? Since it is under pressure I don't see how that could have happened. It just doesn't make sense to me. My car has 130k on it and my downpipe flex section looked perfect. I would take pictures of it, but I cut mine out like some of the others, and we cut through the actual flex section for one of thecuts. You could tell it was in great shape afterewe cut it open.

FYI, I have seen a ton of stock intakes collapse from chipping. They flex a bit at first, but as boost builds and dumps and builds (especially with an aggressive driver) the air box heats up, becomes mush and will collapse enough to cause you to think you ruined your motor (practically.kills your motor). It's just not getting any air. Easy fix - $150-200 performance intake hose and the problem is long gone.