Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

0 - 60 in 8.2 seconds!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jperryrocks
How can a q3 be an overpriced Tiguan?

I just checked out the nicer R lines, and they're 38-39 grand. And that's FWD.

A top end prestige q3 with all the goodies, 19 inch wheels and sport package is 41k. And that's Quattro. The q3 no doubt has a nicer interior and more amenities. Does the Tiguan even have leather seats?

You can't win the pricing argument there.
I agree with the pricing being too close to not go Q3, but the issue in making comparisons via the VW.com site is that it is no longer a pricing configurator. It is truly an awful way to present information to buyers and caters to the low information crowd. That Tig you saw at $39k was indeed with 4 Motion (same Haldex setup as Q3), though the VW site does not show it that way. If you go to any of the consumer directed car research sites, you can spec one out more properly- not this "find a match" garbage VWofA is doing.

What a Tiguan sells for OTD vs. a Q3 at similar MSRP will be interesting to compare. Audi really doesn't throw much at factory incentives like VW does despite being in the same conglomerate, even when you consider conquest or loyalty allowance promos that Audi sometimes runs.

And yes, the Tig has leather seats- well just the part that contacts your back and your butt. Everything else is leatherette where it isn't explicitly stated as leather, much like how most VWs and Audis are done (unless they have a full or extended leather option available).

Again, I agree you'd have to have a compelling reason to go top trim Tiguan over a Q3 Prestige at essentially the same money, particularly with the better Audi warranty.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pagpc
they lost me on this one. why the vw drive train? if we wanted a tiguan, we could have gotten one years ago. all the other "3" models have the audi drive train. this is nuts.

peter
The A3/S3 do share drivetrain and AWD systems with other VW/Audi MQB based vehicles in many global markets. The AWD system is the same type as the previous gen A3 and the TT mk1 and mk2, as well as the R32/36, Golf R, CC 4Motion, and Tiguan. Some get the S-Tronic/DSG tranny, some get the torque converted Tiptronic.

I think we are getting the dressed up Tiguan in the US because it's what is ready to go sooner rather than later- the basic chassis/engine/drivetrain has been federalized already and the way Audi is going about it, the Q3 seems to be offered here as a "me too" product to compete with the X1 and upcoming GLA.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VAG-Fan1
The A3/S3 do share drivetrain and AWD systems with other VW/Audi MQB based vehicles in many global markets. The AWD system is the same type as the previous gen A3 and the TT mk1 and mk2, as well as the R32/36, Golf R, CC 4Motion, and Tiguan. Some get the S-Tronic/DSG tranny, some get the torque converted Tiptronic.

I think we are getting the dressed up Tiguan in the US because it's what is ready to go sooner rather than later- the basic chassis/engine/drivetrain has been federalized already and the way Audi is going about it, the Q3 seems to be offered here as a "me too" product to compete with the X1 and upcoming GLA.
Spoke to my dealer today. He confirmed that this Q3 will only be for this year and an all new one based on new A3 is coming next yr. Audi just wanted to have an offering to compete with X1 and GLA as already mentioned above. It should be in showroom within 2 weeks. He also said new Q5 is most likely coming 2017 depending on mexico factory completion.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ssteigss
Spoke to my dealer today. He confirmed that this Q3 will only be for this year and an all new one based on new A3 is coming next yr. Audi just wanted to have an offering to compete with X1 and GLA as already mentioned above. It should be in showroom within 2 weeks. He also said new Q5 is most likely coming 2017 depending on mexico factory completion.
The Q3 was just facelifted for the 2015 model year, I can't see them doing a 1 and done on the facelift model. It's not like it's been around for that long with the first ones going on sale in mid 2011 as 2012 models. I imagine they'd keep the facelift version for 3 years before a replacement.

One thing the Tiguan has over the Q3 is it's still assembled in Germany. The Q3 comes out of the Seat plant in Spain. A Q3 w/ the Prestige package is the same price as what we paid for our Tiguan when you factor in the ACNA discount. Too bad they pulled a BMW and waited for the facelift to send it over, just like the X1.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would agree that my days of needing the fastest whatever are over. Where the hell is everyone going these days that we need to go 0-60 in 5 secords?

You want to talk slow. My 1975 Datsun B210 with 88hp was 0-60 in 17 secords. Now that was scary slow.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MPBQ3
I would agree that my days of needing the fastest whatever are over. Where the hell is everyone going these days that we need to go 0-60 in 5 secords?

You want to talk slow. My 1975 Datsun B210 with 88hp was 0-60 in 17 secords. Now that was scary slow.

My motorcycle has 110hp and does 60 in about 4s. It is good

The Q5 3.0T is fast enough at around 6s, and the BMW328 has similar numbers. All goodness, but I agree much more than that may be too much.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VAG-Fan1
I agree with the pricing being too close to not go Q3, but the issue in making comparisons via the VW.com site is that it is no longer a pricing configurator. It is truly an awful way to present information to buyers and caters to the low information crowd.
For what it's worth, I have a friend who works at VW North America, and he acknowledges they screwed up by removing the configurator. It's crazy really. I go and price an X1 and want to see how a Tiguan stacks up -- can't! Go to a dealer. That's just not a great way to do business. People are simply too busy. They need to be able to shop online and then go to a dealer.
Ideally, I'd love to do away with dealerships altogether and simply buy off the website the way you do with Apple, Dell, Room&Board, DWR, and other civilized retailers. "Dealerships" are outdated.

-James
Seattle, WA
Old 09-11-2014, 01:32 PM
jec
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove a Q3 today. I liked the feel of the car. Suspension was tight without being harsh. The base steering was okay, but I need to check out one with Drive Select. I think I'd prefer it a little heavier. My big question was how the engine felt vs. an X1, as well as my A4 2.0t. On the one hand, it felt like it had a decent amount of punch -- at least for me, but then I'm 63. On the other hand, I didn't love it the way I loved the X1 2.8 engine or the engine in my A4. The long list of standard features in the Q3 makes it very tempting, but I don't want to end up with buyer's remorse pining for more power the way I did after I bought a 2002 1.8T A4 rather than the 3.0. It's a classic dilemma -- luxury vs. performance.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default there is homelink on mine

Mine has homelink as standard on the base model (US spec)

Originally Posted by dsackman
... together with tiptronic (not S-tronic), the 200HP motor, no Homelink and it appears not the latest MMI, quite a disappointment altogether.

I really do not want to pull an X1 next to the Q5. Having a 3-series there is bad enough.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nope, it's regular 6 speed automatic with manual shifting option (tiptronic).

Originally Posted by BSW
Pretty sure that it's going to be S-Tronic... the euro spec sheet http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/au...cGuides/q3.pdf says it's S-Tronic and I don't think they're going to re-engineer the whole thing for the US market. Someone in marketing probably thinks tiptronic sounds better.

Quick Reply: 0 - 60 in 8.2 seconds!