Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Debating between Q3 and Q5

Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating between Q3 and Q5

I'm kind of torn between the Q3 and the Q5. I've been looking at Consumer Reports and the Q3 has superior reliability ratings which is a pro, but it doesn't have as much passenger and cargo space. Also, I've been looking at my local dealerships, and the absolute lowest price I can find on one is for a certified pre-owned 2016 listed for 35k. Most new ones are listed for 39-45k. Meanwhile they've got certified pre-owned Q5s for 38k. I guess what I'm asking is, is the reliability of the Q3 truly that great, and is it superior enough to spend only 3 to 5k less than the Q5 with more room and cargo space?
Old 02-27-2017, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The Q5 has been on the market far longer. The Q5, along with the other contemporary Audis, has been very reliable.

You should forget about CR.

Welcome aboard, Tapi !!
Old 02-27-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

You have to consider what's most valuable to you in a car with a budget in mind.
First, reliability reports from consumer reports are typically worthless. The outgoing Q5 is almost a decade old and most kinks have been ironed out. MY2013-2017 are solid.
​​​​​Second, the Q5 is more expensive because it is bigger, faster, drives better and the torsen-based AWD is standard. There are also a lot more powertrains to pick from. The 8-speed transmission in the 2.0T helps the Q5 match the fuel economy of the Q3 (6-spd). The Q5 interior feels a bit outdated and there is no 4G connectivity.

Personally, because the bigger size and driving dynamics/engine choices/options, I'd go with the Q5 if my budget permits.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ray_QT
You have to consider what's most valuable to you in a car with a budget in mind.
First, reliability reports from consumer reports are typically worthless. The outgoing Q5 is almost a decade old and most kinks have been ironed out. MY2013-2017 are solid.
​​​​​Second, the Q5 is more expensive because it is bigger, faster, drives better and the torsen-based AWD is standard. There are also a lot more powertrains to pick from. The 8-speed transmission in the 2.0T helps the Q5 match the fuel economy of the Q3 (6-spd). The Q5 interior feels a bit outdated and there is no 4G connectivity.

Personally, because the bigger size and driving dynamics/engine choices/options, I'd go with the Q5 if my budget permits.
Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by "outgoing" Q5? Are they changing things with the 2018? Also, I noticed the Q3 and Q7 have been redesigned, addressing the outdated interiors and adding a new sporty looking grill. It seems to me like SOME 2017 Q5s have a redesign but my dealers show others that look precisely like the 2016s.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapiture
Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by "outgoing" Q5? Are they changing things with the 2018? Also, I noticed the Q3 and Q7 have been redesigned, addressing the outdated interiors and adding a new sporty looking grill. It seems to me like SOME 2017 Q5s have a redesign but my dealers show others that look precisely like the 2016s.
Yes, the 2018 Q5 will be all new and will be the first model made in Audi's new Mexico plant, so it will most likely go through some growing pains for the first couple of model years.

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-q5/2018
Old 02-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As owners of both a 2016 Q5 3.0T Premium Plus and a 2016 Q3 FWD Prestige, here are my wife and I's 2 cents on the major pro and cons of both:

Q5 Pros:
Performance is way better on the Q5, but I can only speak for the Q5's V6 against the Q3's I4.
Interior quality is better and the MMI layout is easier to use with the buttons on the center console.
Driving position is way better in the Q5. The Q3 has a weird upright steering wheel angle that cannot be adjusted to a car-like position.
Q5 has memory seats. This is a major advantage IMO.

Q3 Pros:
Fuel economy is better with the Q3 (only marginally), but our Q3 is not Quattro.
Q3 Prestige has some nice features that the Q5 doesn't offer; LED headlights are incredible and we like that you can lock the Q3 using the button in the trunk.

I hope this input helps!

Last edited by paddywolff; 02-28-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wait for the new Q5, spectacular!

redesigned exterior, all new interior console design, DSG!! more HP!!

or get the RSQ3, haha, you don't have that one in the US

Last edited by PuroMexicano; 03-02-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm having the same problem- I cannot decide between the two. Just took a test drive and I like the Q3 because it's a tad smaller, which I like, but it seems to be a lot noisier and less spunky on the road than the Q5. Can someone tell me how loud it is on the expressway and in general? And thoughts on whether the back seat is too cramped?

I've never had an SUV- I've been driving Audi sedans forever- my last few were A4 and I loved them. I rode the A4 and A6 and did not care for them, so...SUV, here I come. But I just can't decide!

It'll basically be me and my daughter and on rare occasions a backseat rider. But I AM concerned about the noise level. Feedback appreciated.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I've had the Q5 and Q3 as loaners a number of times. They both have nice Audi-refined rides.

For me it comes down to size and I don't have a need for the Q5, plus like more room in the garage and on narrow streets, so I'll be awaiting the upcoming MQB refresh (US MY2019?).

Concur waiting for the new MY2018 Q5 tho' if that's your preference. Although likely some very good deals to be had on 2017's as they transition.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now I'm back to trying to decide between an A3 or an A4. This is driving me crazy. My lease is up next month, so I can't wait for new models to arrive.

Originally Posted by Huey52
I've had the Q5 and Q3 as loaners a number of times. They both have nice Audi-refined rides.

For me it comes down to size and I don't have a need for the Q5, plus like more room in the garage and on narrow streets, so I'll be awaiting the upcoming MQB refresh (US MY2019?).

Concur waiting for the new MY2018 Q5 tho' if that's your preference. Although likely some very good deals to be had on 2017's as they transition.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debating between Q3 and Q5