Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Drove one & other thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 PM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove one & other thoughts...

As some of you know, Audi has been bring the Q3 to various dealers. I drove one yesterday - white Prestige at St. Paul Audi. Here are my thoughts that I sent back to my salesman:

I’m a little intrigued by what Audi has done to the pricing of the Q3. With the following options:

1. 8UB5CL – Quattro Q3 $34,600
2. Destination $925
3. Metallic Paint (Cobalt Blue) $550
4. WPT – Prestige Package $3900
5. WQB – Sports Package $550
6. 5MS – Balsamic Wood $350
7. Q3P – Stainless Steel Pedal Caps $155

Total: $41,030

First of all, that price is less than a comparably equipped A3 - $42,700. Of course that comes with the newer, more powerful engine, 6-speed dual clutch transmission, & Bang & Olufsen sound system.

A comparably equipped BMW X1 would be around $42,700. That also has even a more powerful turbo with start-stop technology, and 8 speed transmission.

A comparably equipped Mercedes GLA250 would be $43,710. That also has the more powerful turbo with start-stop technology, and 7 speed dual clutch transmission.

From what I can tell, the new Q3 has the lowest fuel economy of all mentioned cars. I attribute that fact to both the older style turbo engine and transmission.

I have come to the conclusion that the Q3, besides having the older chassis than the new A3 series, also has the engine & transmission from the older A3 series. I’m sure that this is the way the Q3 originally came out over in Europe, but I can’t understand why Audi has not updated this model, especially before bringing it to the states. I wonder after several years if they plan to update it then.

Right now I’m not sure what I will decide to do. I have been waiting for this car for 2 years and again Audi disappoints.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly my sentiments - been waiting for a long time and drove one about a year ago in South Africa.

The offered engine, gearbox combination without the latest MMI system (also no HomeLink) is a serious disappointment. I cannot wrap my head around a BMW, so we will be getting the MB GLA when they arrive at around the same time as the Q3.

Quite sad, as a Q3 would have looked good next to my Q5.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

They could have offered it with the current 2.0 litre from the A4 and a S-Tronic transmission and it would have been a real hit. But they decided to offer it with a lesser motor and transmission in order to have the cheapest offering. Sad.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What were your thoughts about the actual drive, though? Did it feel under-powered or slow?
Old 08-16-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
They could have offered it with the current 2.0 litre from the A4 and a S-Tronic transmission and it would have been a real hit. But they decided to offer it with a lesser motor and transmission in order to have the cheapest offering. Sad.
The A4 motor is a North-South motor. The Q3 motor is installed East-West as in Golf, A3, Tiguan and others. Not the same motor. Only similarity is that it is a 2.0l turbo.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 AM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

No, it did not feel under-powered, even though I have now seen the 0-60 times of around 8 seconds. I drove it up to about 75 MPH and got the over the speed limit warning.
I could tell the difference between the 6-speed and my A4's 8-speed. Did not feel any problems in the suspension, but it felt bigger than my avant.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:42 AM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

Default You can now build one...

You can now build a Q3, along with the S3, on the Audi site. There seems to be a bug or two and my Cobalt Blue is missing.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dsackman
The A4 motor is a North-South motor. The Q3 motor is installed East-West as in Golf, A3, Tiguan and others. Not the same motor. Only similarity is that it is a 2.0l turbo.
My mistake, it might not be the current A4 motor, but it is offered in Europe with a 211 hp motor with 7 speed S-Tronic but I suppose it was easier to shove the Tiguan motor in it...

It would have brought the 0-60 mph down to 6.9 sec, this way it would not have felt as dated and could have competed better with the BMW and Mercedes.
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good to know, thanks SCJ! Am I disappointed that they put the Tiguan engine in there instead of the A3 engine? You bet. But if it still feels sprightly and fun to drive (the Tiguan has always received praise for that) then does it really matter? Sure it could be even quicker, but I guess the target is luxury compact CUV (fast enough) rather than sports compact CUV (fast!).

I'm much more upset at not getting the fast, responsive new MMI system they have in the new A3 and getting stuck with the slow old one.

Last edited by archrr; 08-16-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
My mistake, it might not be the current A4 motor, but it is offered in Europe with a 211 hp motor with 7 speed S-Tronic but I suppose it was easier to shove the Tiguan motor in it...

It would have brought the 0-60 mph down to 6.9 sec, this way it would not have felt as dated and could have competed better with the BMW and Mercedes.

Correct. ... and that is where the disappointment lies.

Quick Reply: Drove one & other thoughts...