Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

New Owner Thoughts After 3 Weeks

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Owner Thoughts After 3 Weeks

Hello all

Live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, now there's a mouthful.

Purchased a 2015 Mythos Black Q3, AWD, Technik trim (that's the Prestige trim for you U.S. folks) , with Navi and Bose system and have had it about 3 weeks.

My wife is the principle driver but I do take it for a whirl on occasion. She came from driving a 2010 MDX which she did like but with the kids older and driving themselves, we didn't need the size and she felt like she wanted something smaller yet had some luxury and sportiness. We checked out a 2016 RDX Elite as the competition

Her/my thoughts are similar.

1. Love the fit and finish of the interior far better than the RDX. We were Acura people our last four vehicles but this is a great change. The layout of the controls, (and lack of buttons) makes more sense. Even the seats are more comfortable. The only option we wish the Q3 offered that the RDX had was ventilated seats. Who knows, maybe the 2016s or 17s will offer it as in the Q5.

2. Steering is far more responsive with the Audi. The ride is firm but just right. First time on Piriellis and I am inpressed. RDX tends to remove your feel of the road, kind of numb and isolated.

3. Performance. Here I have to give the nod to the RDX. Larger engine, more HP, it takes the Q3 in this regard. We find the Q3 is adequate but it could use a bit more kick in straight away take off.

4. Size. Depends what you want. The Q3 is narrower, lower to the ground, not as high and shorter, hence less room inside, but it is just the size she wanted. It has that throwablilty around corners that the RDX just doesn't have and the visibility is far better.

5. Minor Peeve. The rubbber door seals at the bottom of the doors are a bear to keep clean. Never had dirt and mud collect inside the seals with the MDX like the Q3.

Overall, very happy with the vehicle and definitely made the right decision over the RDX.

Dealership and SA were wonderful to work with, it was a great experience, even the price negotiations were reasonable and cordial.

Two happy first time Audi owners, even with the runt of the Audi litter lol.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice write-up. I was considering a Q3 but now leaning toward another A6 when my current lease is up. Too bad Audi didn't put the new drive train in the US models. Does your Canadian model have a Tiptronic or a DSG transmission?
Good luck to you and your wife, it seems to be a really great right-size vehicle.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Nice write-up. I was considering a Q3 but now leaning toward another A6 when my current lease is up. Too bad Audi didn't put the new drive train in the US models. Does your Canadian model have a Tiptronic or a DSG transmission?
Good luck to you and your wife, it seems to be a really great right-size vehicle.
Thanks

The manual says its a Tiptronic with DSP (Dynamic Shift Program)
Old 07-29-2015, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

That's what we get in the US on the 2016 Q3 as well. In other countries they get the Stronic dual clutch transmission (DSG) as well as an updated (more power) engine.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#5 was always a disappointment for me too. Taking it down a dusty or muddy road for short stretches would result in a big mess inside lower door.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe, Europe is getting any better engines unless you count the diesel or 5 Cylinder RSQ3's engine...at least not the UK.

We in the US/NAR are getting the current Q3 at the mid cycle refresh as it's been out in Europe since I believe 2011 or 12.

So US/NAR next sees a new version in 2019 at earliest as Europe will get the update in 2018:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...w-styling-tech

We're going to enjoy this thing, no sense in beating any dead horses or lack of horses on this.

LOL!