Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Q3-2016 or Q5-2016 (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q3-2016 or Q5-2016 (Canada)

Started off looking at Q3's a month back and soon found out that a restyle is in the works for the Q3. Started considering a used Q5 similarly priced to a new Q3 and then discovered the new Q5's are on the way.

It turns out the new Q5's are delayed one more MY until 2017 and my strong preference is the newer body style. One possibility is buy a used Q5 and wait for the newer MY2017/2018 from the new Mexican plant.

I am weighing the options between these two vehicles and would very appreciate your insight. I know about memory seats and homelink being missing from the Q3 and while the payload of the Q5 is nice, it is not a show stopper for me as I am coming from a Mazda 3 sedan.

Decisions, decisions....
Old 03-27-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my take is that if you are planning to replace whatever you buy now with something in the next year or so, don't take the giant depreciation hit by buying new. if you have to buy something now, get a used car. and since you won't find many used Q3's, that sort of forces you into a Q5.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by -hef-
my take is that if you are planning to replace whatever you buy now with something in the next year or so, don't take the giant depreciation hit by buying new. if you have to buy something now, get a used car. and since you won't find many used Q3's, that sort of forces you into a Q5.
In my personal experience (I have had many cars over the years and dealt with a lot of spouses’ and kids’ cars as well) used car savings may not be as great as one may think at first glance. In just about every circumstance I can think of the new owner of the used car has had to put $1,500 or so into it during the first year. Tires and brakes are almost certainties IMO. The beauty of the many new cars I have both owned and leased is (at the rate I drive) two to four years of relatively little repair costs. In many instances used may be the way to go, but I do not believe this is always the case. Plus, if you buy a three-year old car all the time you never get the current state of refinement that model’s latest versions offer. My two cents.
In terms of the OP's choices, I would consider a new Q5 with the lowest level of trim and options possible and would fight like a dog to get the dealer to sell it at at least 8% off MSRP. Many Audi dealers get vehicles from Audi that are not well optioned as part of their allotment and then have a problem unloading them given that the typical Audi buyer wants it all. The mpg differences between the current Q3 and the current Q5 are minimal and to me the Q5 seems a better value at the Premium (in the US) trim level. Again, just my two cents.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irenesbob
...would fight like a dog to get the dealer to sell it at at least 8% off MSRP.
Thanks for your input!

Is 8% realistic off of MSRP? Would this only be possible for harder to move, un-optioned models?

I am looking at a very well optioned Q5 (or Q3 as previously mentioned). If I went with a Q5-2015, I would need to find one that they have in the channel already as they can no longer order 2015's. If I went for a Q5-2016 I could get exactly what I want but seriously doubt I could get 8% off.

The sales person also mentioned that come July/August they do deeper discounts to move remaining inventory but I am sure the pickings are slim by then.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I cannot really say for Canada, but for the US I am pretty sure you could.
I did a check of the Q5’s and Q3’s my two nearest Audi dealers have in stock. A typical 2015 Q3 Premium Plus seems to list at $38,500, while the bare bones 2015 Premium Q5’s seem to list at $43,080.
I believe dealers are discounting the Q5 more than the Q3. Given that as an Audi Club Member I can get 6% off on either, but in all likelihood I would get 8% of on a Q5 so I use those two percentage discounts. Applying these two discount percentage to the MSRP’s shown here the Q3 would sell at $36,190 and the Q5 Premium at $39,633 a difference of $3,443, a 9.5% increase from the Q3.
I believe the resale or residual value of the Q5 is higher as well, possibly further reducing the lifetime cost difference between these two models. Also, the Q5 just looks like more of an Audi to me.
I guess over the years I have had so many issues with used cars I tend to shy away.