Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Q3 Towbar options in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q3 Towbar options in the USA

Has anyone any experience yet installing a towbar on a USA Q3?

I was informed by Audi customer service that there will be no factory towbar option available. The reasons I was given in writing by Audi customer service was because "The 2015 Audi Q3 is equipped with a 4-cylinder engine, and does not have enough power to support towing". I then called and spoke to the Audi representative who insisted that the Q3 did not have enough power and that it was not strong enough for towing. I told her that this seemed to be a completely illogical answer given that the Q3 is available in the rest of the world with a towbar and with less powerful engines. Anyway, I simply find this absurd. She kept saying she understood that I was looking for a different answer; heck all I wanted from her was a truthful answer. All in all, one of the worst customer service experiences I've had in a long time. So much for "truth in engineering".

So, who has installed a towbar on a US 2015 Q3 ?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion it is more a safety issue since in Europe even small cars like a VW Golf and smaller pull trailers of course limited by weight and trailer must have its own electrical braking system. My 2 cents worth
Peter
Old 11-21-2014, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If that was the reason then that's what they should have told me rather than concoct a blatantly false excuse. And if that is the reason, then why is the Tiguan available with a trailer hitch prep package in the US?

Steve
Old 11-22-2014, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I am a little confused. To the typical US driver I believe a towbar is the device that attaches to the front of a vehicle that is being towed and attaches to the ball hitch of the vehicle doing the towing. I realize that in some places (Europe) the terms may be used somewhat interchangeably.
So, when the OP says the Tiguan is available with a trailer prep package how does that relate to the towbar he is asking about for the Q3?
Regardless of this point, I think it is simply a matter that Audi does not want to warranty a vehicle that is put to unusually heavy duty, so they say “no” to anything having to do with towing. One Q3 driver could put a lightweight Sunfish on a trailer while someone else could put a 7,000 lb. I/O runabout on a trailer and both think it amounts to “normal” or “acceptable” use. How could a manufacturer leave something like that so open for possible abuse and still back the vehicle under warranty? I cannot make a good business case for that.

Last edited by irenesbob; 11-22-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I am a little confused. To the typical US driver I believe a towbar is the device that attaches to the front of a vehicle that is being towed and attaches to the ball hitch of the vehicle doing the towing. I realize that in some places (Europe) the terms may be used somewhat interchangeably.
So, when the OP says the Tiguan is available with a trailer prep package how does that relate to the towbar he is asking about for the Q3?
Regardless of this point, I think it is simply a matter that Audi does not want to warranty a vehicle that is put to unusually heavy duty, so they say “no” to anything having to do with towing. One Q3 driver could put a lightweight Sunfish on a trailer while someone else could put a 7,000 lb. I/O runabout on a trailer and both think it amounts to “normal” or “acceptable” use. How could a manufacturer leave something like that so open for possible abuse and still back the vehicle under warranty? I cannot make a good business case for that.
I have no problem with that as a reason. But that was not the reason offered.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I empathize with you. These days it is hard for anyone or any company to be straight with anyone about anything. It is all about covering their butts. I doubt Audi is really any different than an other car maker on that issue. In fact, as a luxury brand, they, might (almost should) assume the owner is not really not that much of a car person and won't know the difference anyway. Not many guys get new Audi's then spend the weekend under them in the garage or driveway like I did with my beaters as a young buck. The best one can hope for these days is that the customer service rep is polite.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default update

AoA has changed their tune. I received a call this evening to inform me that the towbar (rear hitch) will be available, is capable of towing 2200 lbs, date not yet confirmed. Another call back has been promised once availability details are known. We shall see...

Steve
Old 11-27-2014, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I installed a 2" receiver on my Tiguan, it bolts to the bumper support from the underside with 4 bolts, takes about 5 minutes to install. I didn't bother with the electronics since I only use it for a bike rack, but they install in the right side compartment in the hatch, basically a Y cable and control module. I'd be surprised if the Q3 is different.

But, if it is the version that is used in the EU, you'll need to remove the rear bumper cover and the installation is much more in depth. You do get the 2200kg tow rating with the Euro version.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ND40oz
I installed a 2" receiver on my Tiguan, it bolts to the bumper support from the underside with 4 bolts, takes about 5 minutes to install. I didn't bother with the electronics since I only use it for a bike rack, but they install in the right side compartment in the hatch, basically a Y cable and control module. I'd be surprised if the Q3 is different.

But, if it is the version that is used in the EU, you'll need to remove the rear bumper cover and the installation is much more in depth. You do get the 2200kg tow rating with the Euro version.
The Tiguan bumper support is different than the Q3, and most are now prepped With weld nuts, but not the Q3.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pinballplanet
The Tiguan bumper support is different than the Q3, and most are now prepped With weld nuts, but not the Q3.
If doesn't have the weld nuts on the existing bumper, then you're taking off the rear bumper cover, then the rear bumper and fitting the entire bar rather then just the receiver.

http://www.towbarsdirect.co.uk/images/43056.pdf

Quick Reply: Q3 Towbar options in the USA