Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Q3 versus X1 versus GLA

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q3 versus X1 versus GLA

I test drove a Q3 yesterday, and once the supply pipeline gets filled up, I think they are going to sell a boat load of these because of the pricing versus the X1 and the GLA (and I think it's going to steal sales and outsell the Q5, as well as the Tiguan)

Sure, the X1 is a better handling vehicle, and is faster, but I don't think your average driver is going to notice that or care as the Q3 handles well and is no slouch itself. Personally, I wish they offered an engine to compete with the X1 35i, but I think few potential buyers are going to be stopped by that. Just look at Q5 sales…far more four-cylinder cars are sold versus the V-6. And, at least to me, the X1 is beginning to look dated. And the X1 28i outsells the 35i by multiples anyway.

I have driven the GLA also, and I think with many buyers it's going to lose out to the Q3 because it has a substantial price disadvantage.

Last edited by shark115; 10-05-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as "faster" goes. Who really cares of their car goes from 0-60 in 5.3 or 6.2 seconds.

Seriously, judging cars on 0-60 when they are pretty close is nuts.

Not you want fast. My 1975 Datsun B210 went from 0-60 in 17.4 seconds. Now that was fast, compared to a turtle.

I also think the Q3 will outsell the GLA based upon price. I did a comparison between my ordered Q3 and "if" I ordered the GLA with the same options and the GLA was about 6 grand more. That alone would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MPBQ3
As far as "faster" goes. Who really cares of their car goes from 0-60 in 5.3 or 6.2 seconds. Seriously, judging cars on 0-60 when they are pretty close is nuts. Not you want fast. My 1975 Datsun B210 went from 0-60 in 17.4 seconds. Now that was fast, compared to a turtle.
It may not sound like much, but that difference of nearly a second is significant and very noticeable if you need to pull out of a driveway into heavy traffic traveling 60-65 mph as I often do. If the Q3 could really do 0-60 in 6.2, that would be pretty good, but the one I drove (2.0 quattro) felt like it was likely somewhere between 7 and 8 seconds. Sure, that's probably good enough for most drivers most of the time, but it's nice to have something faster when you need it.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:27 AM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

As far as "faster" goes. Who really cares of their car goes from 0-60 in 5.3 or 6.2 seconds.

Seriously, judging cars on 0-60 when they are pretty close is nuts.

Not you want fast. My 1975 Datsun B210 went from 0-60 in 17.4 seconds. Now that was fast, compared to a turtle.

I also think the Q3 will outsell the GLA based upon price. I did a comparison between my ordered Q3 and "if" I ordered the GLA with the same options and the GLA was about 6 grand more. That alone would be a deal breaker for me.
Audi says the speed is 7.8 - 8.2. This is up to 2 seconds slower than the X1 & GLA.

I would love to see that GLA configuration. You must have gone nuts.

A Q3 Prestige, almost fully loaded is just under 40K. This price has actually come down about 600 since before introduction.

A nicely loaded GLA, with almost the same equipment level, plus the better engine & transmission.... is about 43K.

A nicely loaded X1, with almost the same equipment level, plus the better engine & transmission..... is about 42.6K. You have to work a lot harder to correctly configure an X1 because they have a LOT more options to blow up the price.

Both the GLA & X1 come with a lot FASTER version.

As I said before on the forum I am a Audi nut and waited 2 years for the Q3. Audi disappointed me on what they included on this model (old engine & transmission). Both the Q3 & GLA are too small in the rear seating & hatch area. I concluded the X1 had everything right and then I read CAR & DRIVERS year long review and they pointed out problems, including the brakes on the non sport version. I then decided that I could wait until Audi brings us the updated Q3 in several years.

Last edited by SCJ; 10-09-2014 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts...
Old 10-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCJ
Audi says the speed is 7.8 - 8.2. This is up to 2 seconds slower than the X1 & GLA.

I would love to see that GLA configuration. You must have gone nuts.

A Q3 Prestige, almost fully loaded is just under 40K. This price has actually come down about 600 since before introduction.

A nicely loaded GLA, with almost the same equipment level, plus the better engine & transmission.... is about 43K.

A nicely loaded X1, with almost the same equipment level, plus the better engine & transmission..... is about 42.6K. You have to work a lot harder to correctly configure an X1 because they have a LOT more options to blow up the price.

Both the GLA & X1 come with a lot FASTER version.

As I said before on the forum I am a Audi nut and waited 2 years for the Q3. Audi disappointed me on what they included on this model (old engine & transmission). Both the Q3 & GLA are too small in the rear seating & hatch area. I concluded the X1 had everything right and then I read CAR & DRIVERS year long review and they pointed out problems, including the brakes on the non sport version. I then decided that I could wait until Audi brings us the updated Q3 in several years.
Sorry but the Q3 with 200hp is not slow.

The Q3 we ordered came in at 37.7k. That's with Quattro, driver assistance package, Nav and power tailgate. A comparable GLA goes for 43k. Your comment about the X1 and GLA having a better engine and trans is your opinion, not fact.

I also drive a 2012 Chevy Cruze as my commuter car and 0-60 is 8 seconds and I've never had a problem or felt the car was slow.

IMO people put way to my emphasise on 0-60 times. Since you really want to go fast go buy the new Dodge Challenger Hellcat at 707hp.

Last edited by MPBQ3; 10-09-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 PM
SCJ
AudiWorld Member

Sorry but the Q3 with 200hp is not slow.

Your comment about the X1 and GLA having a better engine and trans is your opinion, not fact.
I think you will find that it is a lot of people's opinion and is a fact.

This Q3 has the old 2.0L T engine and the old 6 speed auto transmission. Think a fancy VW Tiguan. Take a look at what the new A3 has, with the new 220HP engine and the 6 speed dual clutch transmission. This is what the Q3 we received should have and the NEXT Q3 will have.

The Q3 also has the lowest gas economy compared with the X1 & GLA. They both have higher HP, torque, and an 7 speed dual clutch or 8 speed auto transmission.

The Q3 is cheaper!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJ
This Q3 has the old 2.0L T engine and the old 6 speed auto transmission. Think a fancy VW Tiguan. Take a look at what the new A3 has, with the new 220HP engine and the 6 speed dual clutch transmission. This is what the Q3 we received should have and the NEXT Q3 will have.
Yes, this is dis-heartening. Does anyone know when the new generation Q3 will be out and coming to the US? My current A6 lease is up December '15 and I was hoping to downsize into a Q3 at that time, but not to the current version, although it looks very nice. I would consider buying a Q3 but not if it has the current timing belt engine - ugh!
Old 10-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCJ
I think you will find that it is a lot of people's opinion and is a fact.

The Q3 also has the lowest gas economy compared with the X1 & GLA. They both have higher HP, torque, and an 7 speed dual clutch or 8 speed auto transmission.

The Q3 is cheaper!!!
Newer doesn't mean better and your comment said "better". Let mer tell you a story about newer. I bought a 2009 VW TDI and loved it. This of course was a better and newer model than the 2006 TDI. Well guess what happened. The HPFP was faulted and there were implosion causing between $7,000 - $10,000 to repair the common rail system. After having the 2009 for 2.5 years I decided that I liked to sleep at night and traded her in. In the meantime there have been 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 HPFP implosions. VW even though they improved the Jetta, still haven't fixed the HPFP problem. You can read about it here VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas - TDIClub Forums

As far as gas mileage, I'll take the fewer mpg and save myself 6 grand up front.

As far as being old, I'll take my 1973 Mustang vert 302 any day over a newer stang which is so called "better".

In the case of the Q3, the engine and trans has been proven to be reliable. Lets see what happens after a few years with the so called newer and better engines/trans.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Adding to this thread as I am now shopping around for a Q3 since my wife's GLA250 4Matic stopped accelerating in traffic not once but twice now. It has been Identified as a fuel pump issue but not until after the second time in less than 2500 miles it went in for service because the gas pedal stopped responding to inputs while in motion on the road.

I won't be stepping back into a GLA with that motor and transmission again.

Wanted to share for anyone cross shopping. We may have gotten a weird one, but almost dying twice does not instill confidence in a new model year run vehicle.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SaltyIrishman
Adding to this thread as I am now shopping around for a Q3 since my wife's GLA250 4Matic stopped accelerating in traffic not once but twice now. It has been Identified as a fuel pump issue but not until after the second time in less than 2500 miles it went in for service because the gas pedal stopped responding to inputs while in motion on the road.

I won't be stepping back into a GLA with that motor and transmission again.

Wanted to share for anyone cross shopping. We may have gotten a weird one, but almost dying twice does not instill confidence in a new model year run vehicle.
There is currently a huge recall with the nickel plating coming lose and causing Bosch fuel pumps to fail on a number of different manufacturer's vehicles including BMW, Audi, VW, Nissan and others. Pretty sure the Q3 was particularly mentioned. MB may have been mentioned, I'm not sure. But i know MB has used Bosch fuel pumps in other models. Not saying that's what happened to yours, but if I were you I would be interested in learning more. Should be easy to obtain the details with a Google search.

Quick Reply: Q3 versus X1 versus GLA