Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Q3 versus X1 versus GLA

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wms004
I find that the Q3 is actually priced high vs the competition when taking into account the avg. transaction prices.

For ex, for my minimalist build requirements of awd and xenon headlights, trueCar gives me the following prices:

'15 Q3 Quattro Prem Plus - $34,955
'15 GLA 4matic - $32,700
'15 X3 xdrive28i - $32,025

While I like the size and looks of the Q3, it's up to 9% more than the competition when building at a more base level looking at actual transaction prices.

If it had the newest 2.0T and an 8-speed, that would be a different story.
The TRUECAR comparison may not reflect a few things:
For one, BMW and M-B may not ever have the base/stripper models you want actually built and at dealers.
Also, the Q3 base model (Premium Plus) comes with a lot of things that are optional on the BMW (and I suspect M-B). Things like leather seats, 8 way power front seats w/lumbar, heated front seats, moon roof, backup camera, voice controls, push button start, auto dim interior mirror w/compass, heated power exterior mirrors, satellite radio, dual zone AC, as well as the Xenon headlights you mention.
Not all these items are options on the GLA but many are. I believe that a GLA goes to over a $40K list price when equipped with many (possibly not even all) the features standard on the Q3 Premium Plus.
In terms of the TRUECAR price you show for the X3, I believe it must be the X1 you are interested in since a base X3 with AWD is shown at over $42,000 on TRUECAR with non-leather seats and without many of the Q3's standard features.
It may be that these features standard on the Q3 are not important or useful for you, but otherwise I suggest a detailed comparison of the three models (X3 or X1 – whichever you wish to compare) to be sure your cost comparison is “apples to apples” and really helps to inform your purchase decision.

Last edited by irenesbob; 08-17-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
The TRUECAR comparison may not reflect a few things:
For one, BMW and M-B may not ever have the base/stripper models you want actually built and at dealers.
Also, the Q3 base model (Premium Plus) comes with a lot of things that are optional on the BMW (and I suspect M-B). Things like leather seats, 8 way power front seats w/lumbar, heated front seats, moon roof, backup camera, voice controls, push button start, auto dim interior mirror w/compass, heated power exterior mirrors, satellite radio, dual zone AC, as well as the Xenon headlights you mention.
Not all these items are options on the GLA but many are. I believe that a GLA goes to over a $40K list price when equipped with many (possibly not even all) the features standard on the Q3 Premium Plus.
In terms of the TRUECAR price you show for the X3, I believe it must be the X1 you are interested in since a base X3 with AWD is shown at over $42,000 on TRUECAR with non-leather seats and without many of the Q3's standard features.
It may be that these features standard on the Q3 are not important or useful for you, but otherwise I suggest a detailed comparison of the three models (X3 or X1 – whichever you wish to compare) to be sure your cost comparison is “apples to apples” and really helps to inform your purchase decision.
Sorry for the typo, yes, I meant X1 (corrected in my original reply). You make a good point about more standard features on the Q3. It's a mix of what's standard vs. optional on each. Overall, I'd say Q3 is probably best equipped standard (Thanks Audi for not charging us for leather), followed by GLA (which has standard power rear lift gate), and lastly X1 where everything seems to be an option.

Yes, my minimalist builds above would almost definitely be custom orders for most dealers, but still, those would be pretty realistic prices for each vehicle. Around $32k BTTL is a great option for someone to get into a premium brand buying new, without financially over-extending themselves.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The Q3 lacks a garage door opener, not an issue for me, but some would consider that a deal breaker.
I personally might well go for an X1 - the Q3's drive train and low mpg's would likely push me to my first ever (at 73) BMW.

Last edited by irenesbob; 08-18-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LavaGrau_A3
If you like BMW's, as you seem to, I'd wait for the X1. Looks like at least a generation ahead of the current Q3. Exterior and interior look wonderful. We like our Q3 a lot, but the new X1 looks worth the wait.
You were right...I had a chance to see the next generation X1 in person this week and it is really nice...I had my eye on a beautifully equipped Q3 here in LA but it did just feel a generation behind...I won't be getting my new X1, unfortunately, until probably January since I'm waiting to order the M-Sport (which is taking orders in November) but I feel like I made the right decision, as much as I love Audis...
Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NealcpLA
You were right...I had a chance to see the next generation X1 in person this week and it is really nice...I had my eye on a beautifully equipped Q3 here in LA but it did just feel a generation behind...I won't be getting my new X1, unfortunately, until probably January since I'm waiting to order the M-Sport (which is taking orders in November) but I feel like I made the right decision, as much as I love Audis...
As my last post indicates, I reached this conclusion as well. That being said, after having learned that the new X1 uses the same chassis platform as the new Mini Clubman I am re-assessing the plan to get an X1. No surprise since Mini and BMW are corporate cousins, but even so, given Mini's poor reliability record I am not sure now.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
As my last post indicates, I reached this conclusion as well. That being said, after having learned that the new X1 uses the same chassis platform as the new Mini Clubman I am re-assessing the plan to get an X1. No surprise since Mini and BMW are corporate cousins, but even so, given Mini's poor reliability record I am not sure now.
I thought about that, and alot of folks have brought up the Mini connection as a negative but it is really the chassis, not the whole car. That is done alot and it's not like it's the same car...I liked the X1...not perfect but the best, right now, for me...
Old 09-01-2015, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The new Tiguan looks nice from the back, cannot wait to see the whole car !

It might be a better buy that this older generation Q3.

It might get a better transmission. Hopefully, the motor will be nicer also...
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2015, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
The new Tiguan looks nice from the back, cannot wait to see the whole car !

It might be a better buy that this older generation Q3.

It might get a better transmission. Hopefully, the motor will be nicer also...
Whoa! That does look nice and not even too big! I had heard the next generation Tiguan might be bigger (which was not appealing to me)...where is this from? What year?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

It is the next Tiguan that should be revealed in Frankfurt in two weeks. I suppose they should start selling it in the Spring as a 2017 model...

We should know more soon.

This spy picture was taken in Vancouver, Canada a few days ago.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
It is the next Tiguan that should be revealed in Frankfurt in two weeks. I suppose they should start selling it in the Spring as a 2017 model...

We should know more soon.

This spy picture was taken in Vancouver, Canada a few days ago.
It looks a little bigger (which I had heard it would be)...I have always kinda liked the Tiguan; almost bought one before I got my X1...

Quick Reply: Q3 versus X1 versus GLA