Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Wipers move when turning off car

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wipers move when turning off car

I noticed that sometimes when I push the engine off button, the front wipers would move an inch. It doesn't happen every time, but once in a while. Anyone else have this problem, and is it normal?
Old 11-29-2015, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is normal. Mine does it time to time. I think it's just to tuck away the wipers when the ignition is off.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Are the front wipers designed that they cannot be raised when the hood is closed? I was trying to clean the snow off the windshield last week and was only able to raise the wipers maybe 2 inches from the windshield.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gta1216
Are the front wipers designed that they cannot be raised when the hood is closed? I was trying to clean the snow off the windshield last week and was only able to raise the wipers maybe 2 inches from the windshield.
There should be a wiper service position in the MMI car settings that raises the wipers several inches - it's the only way to change the wiper blades.

If the windshield is covered in ice and snow, you would first clear the windshield above the wipers and make sure they are not frozen to the glass before activating the setting to avoid damaging the wiper motor. Some owners will use this setting before turning off the car if a snow storm is imminent and the car will be left outside.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There should be a wiper service position in the MMI car settings that raises the wipers several inches - it's the only way to change the wiper blades.

If the windshield is covered in ice and snow, you would first clear the windshield above the wipers and make sure they are not frozen to the glass before activating the setting to avoid damaging the wiper motor. Some owners will use this setting before turning off the car if a snow storm is imminent and the car will be left outside.
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the MMI and see if I can find the setting for it.

Another thing I noticed with the front wipers. When I activate the washer fluid, the wipers wipe several times. What I notice is, it stays on the lowest intermittent setting until I do a manual wipe. Since the windshield is already dry so wiping additional times would cause streak marks.

Last edited by gta1216; 11-29-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

There is no reason to run them in the service position even if you could. Only half the windshield would be wiped.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't see any option to activate wiper service mode. In car | servicing and checks, there's only tire pressure monitoring, service intervals, vin number.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the movement is to change wiper blade position to avoid it stucking to the windshield or deforming.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know if this function is available on the Q3? I don't see it.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My A5 has the windshield wiper service position function in the car menu in the Infotainment system. My 2013 VW GTI has a service position but it is coded into the wiper stalk. Try turning the car off (from running) then flick the wiper stalk down once, as tough you were doing a single wipe. They go a half cycle, and 'park' on the windshield. All else fails, look in the manual--actually the first place I'd look is in the manual.

Quick Reply: Wipers move when turning off car