Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Brakes - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Brakes - Questions

I have had a number of VWs and Audis in the past and they all had the brake wear sensors - idiot light that comes on if your pads are down to xxMM in width. Does the Q5 had the brake wear sensor? I know, look at the manual but am work so cannot reference it currently but don't remember reading about it.

Has anyone replaced their pads on their Q5 yet, if so what was your mileage and driving style? Has anyone done the job themselves? I read a thread on the Q7 where people are getting charged 2k+ to have a brake job as Audi mandates they replace the pads and rotors. I have worked on my cars doing brakes, etc, is the Q5 that much more difficult?

There are a few aftermarket pads for the Q5 (mostly hit on EBC), but didn't know about the wear sensor, hence the question..looking at the Q7 threads, the pads look pretty easy to replace and not much different from my Honda Civic days....

John
Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just replaced my fronts on my 06 A4 at 55K miles. It was simple.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ERPGURU
I have had a number of VWs and Audis in the past and they all had the brake wear sensors - idiot light that comes on if your pads are down to xxMM in width. Does the Q5 had the brake wear sensor?
On front brakes the sensor pulls directly out of the pad before you remove the caliper and caliper bracket. Sensor is on the driver's side. The install is super simple.
Rear brakes are just as easy(easier) except you'll need to release the parking brake actuator in order to get the caliper piston recessed enough to fit the new pads over the new rotor. VAG-COM at home or dealer. Supposedly, a Snap-On update(for their hand held computer) is due out next month to address this issue. I have a friend that will loan me his S/O scanner when if the update works. We'll see how that plays out next month.

Last edited by HaveBullDogWillTravel; 10-05-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The sensors are there for the reason when people doesn't care about the maintenance, if you take care of the car and inspect the pads, you will never see that light.

If you wait till the lining is gone and steel is against the steel then it is just right the light stay on to irritate you....

I never had issues with those sensors as I take care of ours and make sure there is enough lining, not just few mm's as when it gets thin, usually part of it have already broke lose and half of the pad is already on steel.

Last edited by kleinbus; 10-05-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
On front brakes the sensor pulls directly out of the pad before you remove the caliper and caliper bracket. Sensor is on the driver's side. The install is super simple.
Rear brakes are just as easy(easier) except you'll need to release the parking brake actuator in order to get the caliper piston recessed enough to fit the new pads over the new rotor. VAG-COM at home or dealer. Supposedly, a Snap-On update(for their hand held computer) is due out next month to address this issue. I have a friend that will loan me his S/O scanner when if the update works. We'll see how that plays out next month.
there was aposton A6 ? forum saying that it is possible to remove the actuator motor from the rear caliper and then screw in the piston by hand ... Also he said that there is a aftermarket tool for VW /audi for the brake job to retract the caliper: http://www.mactools.com/product/tabi...35-epb102.aspx
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Brake Tool

Originally Posted by m1964
there was aposton A6 ? forum saying that it is possible to remove the actuator motor from the rear caliper and then screw in the piston by hand ... Also he said that there is a aftermarket tool for VW /audi for the brake job to retract the caliper: http://www.mactools.com/product/tabi...35-epb102.aspx
I am a little lost, what does this tool do? I have a vag, what does it provide over that? I thought you just remove the pads, compress the calipers manually (c clamp, whatever) back and install new pads, what am I missing?

Ahh - ok, read about the actuator now on another thread. Ok - last question, were you able to reuse the sensors or did you have to replace them?

Last edited by ERPGURU; 10-06-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by m1964
Also he said that there is a aftermarket tool for VW /audi for the brake job to retract the caliper: http://www.mactools.com/product/tabi...35-epb102.aspx
I spoke to MAC and they told me that they had not yet tested that device on a Q5 so they could not confirm that it would work. I'm not interested in being their Beta tester.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:41 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

HaveBull -

What type of piston tool did you use for the fronts? I was going to replace the pads on my Q5 today, but to my surprise the piston compressor tool wouldn't fit through the hole on the outside of the caliper (the caliper is enclosed on the exterior rather than open that I've seen in the past).

Thanks,
tgt

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
Old 04-02-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tgt
HaveBull -

What type of piston tool did you use for the fronts? I was going to replace the pads on my Q5 today, but to my surprise the piston compressor tool wouldn't fit through the hole on the outside of the caliper (the caliper is enclosed on the exterior rather than open that I've seen in the past).

Thanks,
tgt
#460 ChannelLock Pliars. Piston compressed easily. Make sure there's room in your brake fluid reservoir.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

DIY for front & rear anywhere? How does the pad retaining clip come off, pry and screw driver like a BMW clip?
And is there a place to get the Vag code for rear brake release? Not sure if I just turn the piston to retract it?
Comfortable w/ the BMW as done quite a few but new to audi and the Q5.

Quick Reply: Q5 Brakes - Questions