Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

'14 Q5 TDi brake pad warning light - 59k

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 Q5 TDi brake pad warning light - 59k

On my way back to Indiana from Florida, the brake pad warning light came on and stayed on. The car has 59k miles, 80% of which have been long distance highway driving. This seems a little early based on my experience with other cars I've owned. The car has been serviced regularly under Audi-Care prepaid and I don't recall any warning advice from the Audi tech who did the 55k service. I'm still on the drive home but will check the measurements they quoted on the service invoice.

Is this normal mileage for pad replacement? Is a rotor replacement also required at this mileage? My fear is that this is going to be serious money.

I'm also finding that the high dollar Audi care service plan is not much more than oil changes. When I went in to have them diagnose a noise at 52k that turned out to be a front wheel bearing failure, the tech mentioned that the fuel filter needs to be changed as the original is still on the car! Good attention to detail.

I'm really beginning to wonder about the logic of keeping this apparently 'fragile car' beyond the limits of the original warranty.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by indyrich
On my way back to Indiana from Florida, the brake pad warning light came on and stayed on. The car has 59k miles, 80% of which have been long distance highway driving. This seems a little early based on my experience with other cars I've owned. The car has been serviced regularly under Audi-Care prepaid and I don't recall any warning advice from the Audi tech who did the 55k service. I'm still on the drive home but will check the measurements they quoted on the service invoice.

Is this normal mileage for pad replacement? Is a rotor replacement also required at this mileage? My fear is that this is going to be serious money.

I'm also finding that the high dollar Audi care service plan is not much more than oil changes. When I went in to have them diagnose a noise at 52k that turned out to be a front wheel bearing failure, the tech mentioned that the fuel filter needs to be changed as the original is still on the car! Good attention to detail.

I'm really beginning to wonder about the logic of keeping this apparently 'fragile car' beyond the limits of the original warranty.
Looks like a lot of owners have brake pad life of about 25K miles, and replace pads and rotors at approximately 50K.

I'd say you got great life out of your brake pads!
Old 07-20-2016, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm at 57k I'll let you know if and when the light comes on
Old 07-21-2016, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm at 45K, and still going strong...

Living in the Greater NYC area, puts some pretty robust demands on my brakes, too!

Jason
Old 07-21-2016, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Brakes are and easy DIY job. And if you are not willing to do that go to a indy shop. As long as they understand the parking brake retraction/etc it will be a minimal expense. Pads and rotors are cheap. I am terrified of using the dealer for any work. Some good techs are around but, most are just sloppy and lack attention to detail.