Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

175,000 Mile Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 175,000 Mile Update

Hi checking back in to this forum. I don't log into here that often anymore.

Yesterday, my car (2010 Audi Q5 3.2) turned over 175,000 miles. I have had it since new (purchased Nov 2009). I am still very happy with the car, and plan on keeping it for at least another year or so, maybe longer.

Nothing major has happened on the car (including never had the carbon buildup problem that was common on some 3.2's). I had the water pump and the DRL replaced under warranty. Out of warranty, have had electric door locks replaced on both driver side doors. (Passenger front is now in need of replacement too).

Most maintenance is now done at an independent dealer, but still go to the Audi dealer about once a year in case there is anything special that needs to be done.

I am now ready for new shocks, as one of the rears has started to leak, so I know it needs replacing, so I might as well do all 4. During a recent alignment, they also pointed out that the control arm bushings were going bad in the front upper control arms. I am getting quotes on having those replaced too.

Other than that, the car is great. Sure there is a little wear and tear here and there. The "leather like" coating on some plastic parts of the center console and passenger side leg well has bubbled, and is flaking away. (The first 4 years of the car's life it was parked outside in hot California sun). Haven't noticed it getting any worse since it has been garaged the last year and a half.

There is some curb rash on the rims, and I am looking to get that touched up soon. Clearly that isn't the car/manufacturers fault.

The engine is low about 1/2 a quart about every 10,000 miles (just as it is going in for another oil change). I certainly think that is fine for a car with 175,000 miles.

Currently I have the Continental Extreme DWS all season tires, and they are holding up well. Almost all driving is freeway driving to and from work, and being in Southern California, we don't get much rain (although we need it). When I go skiing in the mountains, I find the tires are just fine, if it is snowy, I take it nice and slow. Last brake service, I put the Hawk pads on and I like them, and find them to be lower in dust.

Once again, overall very happy, and hope your Audi's are treating you well.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Really impressive. What other maintenance have you done? Brakes I would think a few times? Any coolant flushes? Brake fluid flushes? Transmission fluid?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive! How have the brake rotors held up? Replaced?
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bad Andy
Hi checking back in to this forum. I don't log into here that often anymore.

Yesterday, my car (2010 Audi Q5 3.2) turned over 175,000 miles. I have had it since new (purchased Nov 2009). I am still very happy with the car, and plan on keeping it for at least another year or so, maybe longer.

Nothing major has happened on the car (including never had the carbon buildup problem that was common on some 3.2's). I had the water pump and the DRL replaced under warranty. Out of warranty, have had electric door locks replaced on both driver side doors. (Passenger front is now in need of replacement too).

Most maintenance is now done at an independent dealer, but still go to the Audi dealer about once a year in case there is anything special that needs to be done.

I am now ready for new shocks, as one of the rears has started to leak, so I know it needs replacing, so I might as well do all 4. During a recent alignment, they also pointed out that the control arm bushings were going bad in the front upper control arms. I am getting quotes on having those replaced too.

Other than that, the car is great. Sure there is a little wear and tear here and there. The "leather like" coating on some plastic parts of the center console and passenger side leg well has bubbled, and is flaking away. (The first 4 years of the car's life it was parked outside in hot California sun). Haven't noticed it getting any worse since it has been garaged the last year and a half.

There is some curb rash on the rims, and I am looking to get that touched up soon. Clearly that isn't the car/manufacturers fault.

The engine is low about 1/2 a quart about every 10,000 miles (just as it is going in for another oil change). I certainly think that is fine for a car with 175,000 miles.

Currently I have the Continental Extreme DWS all season tires, and they are holding up well. Almost all driving is freeway driving to and from work, and being in Southern California, we don't get much rain (although we need it). When I go skiing in the mountains, I find the tires are just fine, if it is snowy, I take it nice and slow. Last brake service, I put the Hawk pads on and I like them, and find them to be lower in dust.

Once again, overall very happy, and hope your Audi's are treating you well.
I read your last post a few months ago maybe ? It's cool that you let us all know what an Audi can do
Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your post. Your experience and history with a Q5 is what I like to see. I recently bought a 2010 Q5 Prestige for my granddaughter's 21st birthday. Despite the age and 73,000 mi, she, her friends, and myself all love the vehicle. I am hoping she has a similar experience with the later miles on her Audi just as you described above. I can only hope she gives her Audi the attention you also described in caring for yours. Again, thanks for the post.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing your Audi story.
I recently but a Q5 2012 with 40000 miles on it and I love it, but in the back of my head I'm always wondering if it will last as long as my Toyota did-170,000 miles.
I'm praying nothing major happens and I can share a similar story as you have.
So the key to keeping an Audi reliable is in the maintenance?
Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2016, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's great news! It's good to hear the long-term reliability and durability of the vehicle, especially in light of all the TDI poo-poos.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all for the comments. I would have to check my records, but I believe it is on its 5th set of brake pads/rotors. All but one time, I have had to replace the rotors when replacing the pads. The calipers have held up just fine, and it stops as good today, as the day I bought it.

As far as additional maitenance - I have changed the brake fluid once, but I believe I still have the original coolant. (I suspect it was changed when they changed the water pump). As a closed system, I don't think it really needs to be changed. I keep asking my shop if I should change the transmission fluid or the differential fluid, specifically based on miles, but they have not recommended it. Around 110,000 miles, I did the spark plugs and had a air intake cleaning (the audi dealer recommended it). Every few months I run a bottle of techron through the fuel tank, as I am sure that helps keep the injectors clean. Of course I keep up with the oil changes every 10,000 miles, and have only used Mobil 1 full synthetic. I am a firm believer in this oil. (I am sure there are other synthetic oils that are just as good, but I stick with one brand).

I might mention that it doesn't drip any oil. My garage floor stays nice and clean. So the seals are holding up well.

Sometimes the MMI goes wonky for a little bit. Usually just turning off the car, then back on, resets it, and it always comes back and works fine for a few more months.

I still get compliments on the car, and when washed it still looks real nice. Normally, I would start looking at new cars by now, but I just can't bring myself to do so, (although my eyes have been looking at the Cadillac CTS-V lately.... I know, different type of car...) since this one is still nice, runs well, and of course has been all paid for. Of course I would like a new car (who doesn't like a new car), but I just don't see the value when I have a great car like my Q5.

Happy motoring!

-Andy
Old 02-03-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is great to hear and gives me more confidence in purchasing a Q5.

I just can't imagine my M3 ever hitting and making it to 175k lol.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks a lot for this update! I also plan to drive my Q5 AT LEAST to 150k miles, preferably to 200k miles. But I haven't even bought one yet, and am planning to buy one in the next 2-3 years. Right now, all I hear is to wait and see how the Mexican plant does. I am used to avoiding cars in their first year run of a new-generation. Let's hope for the best, as I would really not want to move to a BMW or Mercedes just because of the place of production.