Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2 Weeks with Q5 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
You've only had the car two weeks. Talk to the dealer about returning it for another car.
How does that actually work? I'm sure he would take a notable financial hit by doing this. It's not like the dealer will just let him switch to another car with no financial penalty as the Q5 he has now is already a used vehicle and lost a lot of value.

Still, if the alternative is to drive a vehicle you hate for the next 3 years, then maybe that financial penalty is worth it to the OP.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The only way to find out is to ask.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When shopping for our Q5 several reviews I read mentioned the ride can get unsettled on certain types of pavement. We don't mind it and/or have gotten used to it. Overall the ride and handling is pretty good for a 4,000+ lb. tall vehicle.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Let the dealer check the air pressure and suspension. And while you're waiting, ask the leasing department, and if necessary ask the dealership manager if they can do better.

A Q5 should put most "CUVs" to shame for ride quality.

On my last car I had the shocks replaced around 95,000 miles with the closest I could get to the discontinued OEM shocks. And I was getting a lot of rear axle hop afterwards. Finally spoke to the manufacturer and he said, no, really, try this. Take pressure out of the rear tires, one psi at a time, and see what happens. Sure enough, a two psi drop stopped the axle hop.

Finding a non-electronic pressure gauge that came up with accurate numbers...ah, that took weeks longer.(G)

You got an Audi. You're entitled to say "Takee fixee." That's part of the purchase price.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. I did lower the PSI to 33lbs which is what the sticker in the door jam says. I'll give it some more time. Maybe I'm not an SUV guy.

On a positive note, the handling, braking, and acceleration are great. The 2.0T engine is very smooth and they did a great job tuning the transmission to the engine.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If you think the braking is great, wait till you meet the ABS/ESC system. The car handles like a ballerina (specifically, like the dancing pink hippos in Fantasia(G) but if you try something radical like slalom between cones? The ESC will kick in and amaze you with how it stops what is really a pink HIPPO from rolling over.

The car does have some redeeming virtues. It can also mount curbs and cross RR tracks and speed bumps much, much, more gently than most cars or SUVs would.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpnwdc
Thanks all. I did lower the PSI to 33lbs which is what the sticker in the door jam says.
33 PSI is for max load. If you look in your owner's manual, it'll actually give you lower values for half load.

I run about 30 PSI in ours.

Name:  Q5_tire_pressures.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  41.6 KB
Old 05-05-2016, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jpnwdc
Two weeks since I leased my 2016 Q5 2.0T (traded in an A5). I miss my A5!

I drove the Q5 many times before buying it and I know people who love their Q5. But honestly this is a horrible vehicle for city streets. It is probably the worst riding vehicle I've ever owned. Choppy and loud impacts over urban streets. Man it's going to be a long 3 years.

When does Audi typically start offering "pull ahead" offers for trade ins? 2 years in?

Wow...I just don't get what you are saying....I also have a 2012 Audi TT..now that car can have a rough ride...put on the Magnetic Ride it gets worse. It's a sports car and I like it.

Our 2 week old Q5 is a joy to drive..seats are wonderful and the ride is comfortable and smooth...Like others have said, take it back and discuss it with the dealer.

Q5...best ride of any SUV I have ever had..and we have had quite a few.....
Old 05-05-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

over and under inflation are both dangerous
try measuring the pressure when the tires are warm after a long trip
Old 05-05-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Let the dealer check the air pressure and suspension. And while you're waiting, ask the leasing department, and if necessary ask the dealership manager if they can do better.

A Q5 should put most "CUVs" to shame for ride quality.

On my last car I had the shocks replaced around 95,000 miles with the closest I could get to the discontinued OEM shocks. And I was getting a lot of rear axle hop afterwards. Finally spoke to the manufacturer and he said, no, really, try this. Take pressure out of the rear tires, one psi at a time, and see what happens. Sure enough, a two psi drop stopped the axle hop.

Finding a non-electronic pressure gauge that came up with accurate numbers...ah, that took weeks longer.(G)

You got an Audi. You're entitled to say "Takee fixee." That's part of the purchase price.
My 2014 Honda CRV ride is soooooo much better than my 2014 Q5.

Quick Reply: 2 Weeks with Q5 2.0T