Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2010 Q5 TMPS System Malfunction

Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Q5 TMPS System Malfunction

After reading many TPMS postings across the entire site using the search tool, I feel pretty comfortable posting this question here, as it specifically has not been addressed before. (That's not saying this is the right forum, but at least it's not a repeated question, ha).

Since the first week or two of ownership (bought it brand new a little over a year ago), I have gotten a TPMS System Malfunction warning. Not a low tire pressure warning, but a system malfunction. I check the air, make sure they're all in spec, then reset using the MMI. Within a week or two, I get the message again. It doesn't seem to be a very common problem, as the few Audi boards I've checked, including this one, haven't mentioned anyone complaining about the "new" indirect tire pressure systems. (Which btw, the NTSB finally gave approval for the exception to be allowed for Audi/VW to use this method, in the past month.)

I have the VAG-COM cable and software and ran a system scan. The only fault I get is with the ABS module (makes sense, since it uses the ABS module to detect different wheel speeds). Here is the exact print out. Note it mentions a mechanical malfunction in the suspension. No clue how, b/c it's all stock.

Can anyone here give me any additional information about this type of problem. The two times it's been to the dealer, they don't seem to find any codes (but I haven't cleared any out).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 8R0-907-379.clb
Part No SW: 8R0 907 379 H HW: 8R0 907 379 H
Component: ESP8 quattro H06 0100
Revision: -------- Serial number: --------------
Coding: 041D18
Shop #: WSC 06335 000 00000
VCID: 458BA47B7531

1 Fault Found:
03543 - Mechanical Malfunction in Suspension
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 20
Reset counter: 47
Mileage: 7412 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.06.06
Time: 19:45:35

Freeze Frame:
Hex Value: 0x00C0
Hex Value: 0x0780
Hex Value: 0x001D
Hex Value: 0x377C
Hex Value: 0x00FF

Anyone else get to do the weekly reset?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You need to escalate the issue up the chain. First talk to the service manager. Clearly they have to see the code you pulled up.

If you don't get a answer there then call AOA.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why dont you show the dealer the error code and email Audi-usa a copy as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey thanks for the quick replies! I wanted to bring the printout in and show them, but is there any way that running VAG-COM might be considered by them as "causing it" somehow? I didn't want to bring the error code I got out, if it was going to cause more problems than it would help. (Now that's prob a noob question, but I worry about stuff like that).

Originally Posted by Reggie
You need to escalate the issue up the chain. First talk to the service manager. Clearly they have to see the code you pulled up.

If you don't get a answer there then call AOA.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update on the TPMS System Malfunction

I got my Q5 back from the dealer. It turns out there are quite a few more TSB's out there, that aren't widely available, or I would have realized right away what the problem was.

I did take my print out when I brought it in, and as suspected, their first reaction was to assume I had done something with the VAG-COM. The fault code is associated with Technical Service Bulletin 2024989/3 or /4 depending on where you look. Basically, if you only make short trips down pot-holed filled streets, as I do, this fault is likely to occur.

From the TSB: "Integrated in TMPS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) control is a counter that tracks system unavailability (low availability) due to certain driving conditions such as extremely rough roads. A software concern causes the counted value to be overstated with each ignition OFF cycle..."

It involved a software fix - where they also took off my nifty mods, such as the winking daytime running lights (I don't like them going out b/c you put the blinker on) and the needle sweep mod, where the needles of the gauges sweep to max and back to rest when you first put in the key. Clearly, my edits to their system had nothing to do with a low counter value that was getting triggered and setting off the TPMS warning, but they thought it was best to put the baseline software in first. I can live with that, since they didn't mention the mods again, after they realized it was a known issue that was causing the warning light.

If anyone wants more info on this particular TSB, I sucked it up and paid $35 for 24 hours of access to Audi's Erwin database and pulled the TSB, since I was really curious what was going on. Shoot me a message and I can try and attach it. It's really nice to know that for the first time I likely have a Q5 with no electrical issues, warning lights, or anything else to complain about. I love the car, so hopefully it will stay this way!

Btw, it did take a call to AOA for the dealer to acknowledge the problem. I'd brought it in twice before with the warning light on (and same code) and both times, the dealer said there was no code found and that it was incorrect tire pressure that was setting it off. At least I am on first name basis with a friendly Danielle in Audi Client Services, and might make all my appointments through her from now on. hah.
The following users liked this post:
tayoaresa (01-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you shoot me those TSBs?

Can you shoot me those TSBs, just got same problem.

Originally Posted by Dtiger77
I got my Q5 back from the dealer. It turns out there are quite a few more TSB's out there, that aren't widely available, or I would have realized right away what the problem was.

I did take my print out when I brought it in, and as suspected, their first reaction was to assume I had done something with the VAG-COM. The fault code is associated with Technical Service Bulletin 2024989/3 or /4 depending on where you look. Basically, if you only make short trips down pot-holed filled streets, as I do, this fault is likely to occur.

From the TSB: "Integrated in TMPS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) control is a counter that tracks system unavailability (low availability) due to certain driving conditions such as extremely rough roads. A software concern causes the counted value to be overstated with each ignition OFF cycle..."

It involved a software fix - where they also took off my nifty mods, such as the winking daytime running lights (I don't like them going out b/c you put the blinker on) and the needle sweep mod, where the needles of the gauges sweep to max and back to rest when you first put in the key. Clearly, my edits to their system had nothing to do with a low counter value that was getting triggered and setting off the TPMS warning, but they thought it was best to put the baseline software in first. I can live with that, since they didn't mention the mods again, after they realized it was a known issue that was causing the warning light.

If anyone wants more info on this particular TSB, I sucked it up and paid $35 for 24 hours of access to Audi's Erwin database and pulled the TSB, since I was really curious what was going on. Shoot me a message and I can try and attach it. It's really nice to know that for the first time I likely have a Q5 with no electrical issues, warning lights, or anything else to complain about. I love the car, so hopefully it will stay this way!

Btw, it did take a call to AOA for the dealer to acknowledge the problem. I'd brought it in twice before with the warning light on (and same code) and both times, the dealer said there was no code found and that it was incorrect tire pressure that was setting it off. At least I am on first name basis with a friendly Danielle in Audi Client Services, and might make all my appointments through her from now on. hah.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would be interested in this TSB as well. Please send me a copy if you are still willing.

Regards,
Scott
Old 06-10-2022, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Get the same code for my 2011 A5

Heard about this issue on 2010 - 2011 A4’s, A5’s, Q5’s, etc. I live in NY and do a lot of short daily commutes on bad roads when the 03543 code pops up. I just clear the codes. The last time I got new tires, I had tons sensors, pads and all that replaced. Audi service says it’s a common sensor issue on earlier models being too sensitive on really short drives whether or not the roads are bad. I do notice that when I stick to longer highway trips, I don’t get the code popping up until I do a couple of shorter runs again. Service did mention there was some software fix but seemed like bs since it just sound like they would just reflash back to baseline.