Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2011 2.0T Misfire + EPC On Start

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 2.0T Misfire + EPC On Start

My 2011 2.0T Q5 has started randomly misfiring on cold starts of the engine. It isn't super consistent about it, most of the time it starts up fine, but every once in a while (I'd say every third or fourth cold start) it will misfire and the tachometer will flail around 500-700 RPM with the EPC and CEL for a few seconds before the engine begins idling like normal and the warning lights turn off. Here is a video that I managed to catch of it doing the behavior on start:

I've searched around on here, but haven't found anything. Does anyone have any experience with this happening or any idea what might be going on?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 2011 had the same issue it was a coil pack going bad. I changed all four about 6 months ago and the car runs great again as there was an upgrade to the coils and that's all you can buy now anyway if you buy the Audi brand which I think are Bosch.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi5574
My 2011 had the same issue it was a coil pack going bad. I changed all four about 6 months ago and the car runs great again as there was an upgrade to the coils and that's all you can buy now anyway if you buy the Audi brand which I think are Bosch.
+1

coils and plugs while you're at it (assuming you haven't replaced them recently)
Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the responses. I've still got the warranty until December, so hopefully they'll cover this when they see the video. This is hard to actually reproduce at the dealer since it only does it on cold starts.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Still having a problem… :(

Sorry to resurrect this thread but, two trips to my dealer later, this isn't fixed.

The first time I brought it in, my local Audi dealer found an issue with the main crankshaft seal as well as a faulty pressure regulating valve. That was roughly $2,000 of work, covered under the CPO warranty (thank god ).

After I got the car back from the dealer, it was unfortunately still exhibiting the same behavior I brought it to the dealer for. So I brought it back in, and they then told me that the (same) behavior is normal for the engine on cold starts. I suggested the coil pack thing that was mentioned on this thread, but my service advisor dismissed that and just repeated the same thing he'd said about they've already fixed it and what I was seeing now is normal for the engine. Needless to say, I'm not satisfied with that answer.

I've put together this video of the car not starting properly, could anyone with the 2.0T engine verify that what I'm seeing isn't normal before I go back for a third time?

Old 11-06-2015, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Not normal and unacceptable. You paid a CPO deductible and want this fixed correctly. Once in a rare while mine may shudder upon start up before going to a normal brief high idle. Never lit a light ever. Contact AOA and also start looking for another dealer that's not full of crap.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have similar problems with a 2004 S4 B6 4.2L - At startup engine rattles for 1 to 2 seconds. Have seen this is common for the 4.2 engine. I think there is about 80K miles on the engine as it was replaced in my car about 5 years ago as a used engine with 25k miles on it. Started having multiple misfires with associated CDC codes for cylinders 5 and 6. Replaced the 2 coil packs for those cylinders and misfires stopped for a few days. I then started getting multiple misfires for those same cylinders and many others including CDC 17944 camshaft timing adjustment bank 2. Changed the oil and the misfires stopped for a few days. Now, when setting at an extended idle, the 17944 code along with multiple misfires comes in again. Yes the engine service light has come on with all those misfire issues. I rev the engine and all rattling stops and the engine purrs like a kitten. What should be the next thing I do to stop the misfires at long idle?
Old 02-24-2019, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So any fixes?
Old 02-25-2019, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by T2ae
So any fixes?
Yes, and no. I ended up taking it to another dealer since the one I’d been going to was horrific from a customer service standpoint. New dealer acknowledged there was definitely an issue, worked with AoA to extend the CPO warranty to cover this, and tried a few different solutions (carbon cleaning, coil packs, etc) but were never able to fully solve the problem. Hats off to Audi Tysons Corner for their hard work. I ended up relocating out of the area, before this was totally solved by Audi TC.

What ultimately solved the issue was having the engine rebuilt under the excessive oil piston replacement in early 2016. Engine qualified for the new pistons since I had to add oil every ~700 miles. It’s a bit like fixing a creaky door by tearing the entire house down, but after the pistons were replaced the car always started right up like a charm without this issue. Ended up trading in that Q5 in early 2018 due to a major issue with the HVAC that was going to cost half the car’s trade-in value to repair. That Q5 was a constant maintenance headache, so I did the logical thing and used the trade-in money to purchase another Q5, albeit with an improved engine (2015 3.0T).