Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2012 Q5 Sunroof Frame Leak

Old 09-02-2015, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an update:

My sunroof, I assume the glass was replaced in 2012. That sure makes me wonder if it was damaged/weakened.

The dealer who I have taken it to seems to have a very much carefree attitude about this. I asked to Audi GM no calls after 2 days.

I have escalated this problem to Audi Customer relations on 2 points:

1) The FrameProblem
2) Very Poor handling of this problem by dealer.

I will be interested how it works within the next 48hours.

Michael
Old 09-02-2015, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdQ5
I have an update:

My sunroof, I assume the glass was replaced in 2012. That sure makes me wonder if it was damaged/weakened.

Michael
Back in 2012 there was a bad batch of the sunroof glass that would shatter in a very cold weather. This was probably the reason for the replacement. Either it shattered or it was just replaced as a part of warranty. Not every car was affected.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

From Dealership:

During the inspection of the water leak the vehicle was brought in for our technicians found water dripping down from the sunroof frame tracks. Due to these findings we need to remove and replace the sunroof frame assembly and sunroof drains.

4 hoses $192

Frame $1162.35

(50% of the above prices will not be charged to customer)

Labor $840

Taxes on parts $94.81

Audi has agreed to participate in helping with cost of repairs by paying for 50% of the parts. Audi dealer has agreed to help with the cost of labor by dropping the normal price of $1400 in labor for this repair down to $840.

I am not happy with Audi as I do not believe this is a problem that should occur. Clearly poor design/quality. I will never buy another Audi and I will certainly warn other Auid potentila buyers that Audi does not stand behind their product.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like they've quoted the drain tubes. Perhaps they are just clogged? Dealers don't really diagnose as it takes too long, they just replace whole systems which can really be $$$. Get a schematic from SPIJUN and try to clear them with compressed air or similar (semi rigid pipe cleaner sort of thing). Would really only cost you your time and from your stated frustration - what do you have to lose. If water is not draining due to the lines being clogged you're going to see water build up in the roof frame rails. If this works out for you, you might also consider using the Audi seal paste to "relube" the seals and mechanism which may ensure a more water resistant seal - there is a TSB process in this forum if you search for it - as to how to and what supplies you need.

Generally speaking, if the dealer is willing to assist like you've stated with the vehicle being outside of warranty, that's pretty good imo.

Goodluck either way!

From Dealership:

During the inspection of the water leak the vehicle was brought in for our technicians found water dripping down from the sunroof frame tracks. Due to these findings we need to remove and replace the sunroof frame assembly and sunroof drains.

4 hoses $192

Frame $1162.35

Labor $840

Taxes on parts $94.81

Audi has agreed to participate in helping with cost of repairs by paying for 50% of the parts. Audi dealer has agreed to help with the cost of labor by dropping the normal price of $1400 in labor for this repair down to $840.

I am not happy with Audi as I do not believe this is a problem that should occur. Clearly poor design/quality. I will never buy another Audi and I will certainly warn other Auid potentila buyers that Audi does not stand behind their product.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Ok, so first of all, Audi does stand behind their product, for the duration of the warranty, and obviously beyond given that they are willing to help with costs. Not many manufacturers will just freely fix something that is beyond warranty and not an obvious defect.

Second, dealers don't tend to FIX things, they replace parts. If you want something FIXED, bring it to a European automotive shop.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Use weed wacker string to clear your drain tubes. Compressed air can be a bad plan causing hoses to pop off in places you cannot put them back on. Just saying.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good point with the compressed air. Weed wacker string would be perfect.

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Use weed wacker string to clear your drain tubes. Compressed air can be a bad plan causing hoses to pop off in places you cannot put them back on. Just saying.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I authorized the repair as I just do not have the time to try repairs unfortunately.

I am going to email these suggestions to dealer for their input.

Thank s for the great input.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2013 had the sunroof frame repaced too for rattling noise. I still have curtain issues when its hot. No noises.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

From Dealership:

4 hoses $192

Frame $1162.35

Labor $840

Taxes on parts $94.81

Audi has absolutely no requirement to cover vehicles beyond the standard warranty. That's why an option is given to purchase an extended warranty if you want Audi to cover for additional time. I've had plenty of out of warranty claims with BMW and never once did they ever offer to help me like Audi did for you. IMO that shows Audi is willing to step up to the plate as a goodwill gesture. Definitely not a requirement in any way, shape or form of them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Q5 Sunroof Frame Leak