Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013-16 A/C software upgrade service advisory issued

Old 08-20-2016, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default 2013-16 A/C software upgrade service advisory issued

Received this today.

Does anybody know "exactly" what the software change does?

I sounds like the electric auxiliary air heater PTC heating element is degrading, and just guessing the software update will either limit the time that it is on, or lower the voltage
applied to it. My aux heater works just fine in the winter so I'm reluctant to have any changes done to it until I find out what those changes are.

Looks like Audi QC just continues to go down. An electric heating element should have a lot of QC life cycling performed on going by the element supplier to prevent issues like this.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-16 A/C software upgrade service advisory issued-audiq5.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 08-20-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds most peculiar, Bob.

I can't see how a software update would prevent "degradation" of a heating element. Unless, perhaps, Audi is being clever again and a computer is interactively applying power to the heating element. And the original software literally overpowers the element, causing it to burn out prematurely?

An hour long software update....I'll bet someone is still using a 1200 baud modem.(G)
Old 08-20-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2014 2.0T has a MMI entry for this heater but I thought that it was only for diesels with their long and slow warm up.

the same 1200 baud modem they use to update the NAV maps.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by timlocke
My 2014 2.0T has a MMI entry for this heater but I thought that it was only for diesels with their long and slow warm up.

the same 1200 baud modem they use to update the NAV maps.
Sorry it's also in other Q5's. I get great heat coming out of the vents within 200 feet of starting and instantly driving the Q5 even with an ambient temp of zero degrees F.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
Sounds most peculiar, Bob.

I can't see how a software update would prevent "degradation" of a heating element. Unless, perhaps, Audi is being clever again and a computer is interactively applying power to the heating element. And the original software literally overpowers the element, causing it to burn out prematurely?

An hour long software update....I'll bet someone is still using a 1200 baud modem.(G)
You know that they are just going to use the Climate Control module to most likely reduce the voltage applied, even though the heating performance will be reduced. This way owners can't
complain that the heating element quit working, Audi would say see there's still some warmth coming out of the vents at startup!!!! Also to replace the heating element requires nearly removing the entire dash!!!
Audi does not want to do that.

I say that this is Heater-gate, and we should all get buy backs..................
Old 08-20-2016, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Apparently the Audi Transmogrifier only knows how to translate "modifier" words as "auxiliary". So, the diesel's heating unit, is "auxiliary" heater. The gasoline "I can't wait" heater, same "auxiliary".

Heck, they even have us believing the Q5 is a car, not a truck, while they simultaneously swear to the government that it is a truck, not a car.

Since they (supposedly) had to replace my climate control computer, not just reprogram it, in order to stop it from icing up? I have to wonder what half of "have to replace" I misunderstood.

But again, this could be very similar to old-fashioned flashlight bulbs. Some even used 6v tractor headlights and ran them at 9 volts, which cut the service life intentionally from 30 hours to 3 hours, but increased the brightness something like ten-fold at the same time. Plenty of room in between to pick a compromise point that is still "bright". Could be someone just found that dropping the heat by ten degrees, doubled the life of the element. Or, prevented some solder or epoxy from failing.

We'll never know unless we take hostages. You know, if you feed German engineers and executives enough wurst and lager, and confine them to a Morris Mini Minor for a couple of days...hehheh. Waterboarding becomes an improvement in life, doesn't it?

Last edited by Redd; 08-20-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Redd
Apparently the Audi Transmogrifier only knows how to translate "modifier" words as "auxiliary". So, the diesel's heating unit, is "auxiliary" heater. The gasoline "I can't wait" heater, same "auxiliary".

Heck, they even have us believing the Q5 is a car, not a truck, while they simultaneously swear to the government that it is a truck, not a car.
Well per Audi..........

Diesel-powered models currently have an electrical
PTC element, although a pre-heater is optional.

Vehicles equipped with an optional pre-heater also
have a PTC heater element as an auxiliary heater at
start of production. The "fuel powered" pre-heater is
currently not used as an auxiliary heater in these
vehicles.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So one is a diesel ("fuel") powered preheater, similar to the Esbacher and other heaters used on busses so successfully. While the other is electric?
Old 08-20-2016, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like "make it not fail within the factory warranty period" software change. I would like an extended warranty for the 3 years it took Audi to figure this out.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

The pre heater in gas Audi's showed up with the ability to run E85 in flex fuel vehicles. Very challenging to generate heat quickly with E85 in cold weather so the pre heater was added.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013-16 A/C software upgrade service advisory issued