Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013-16 A/C software upgrade service advisory issued

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Got my "Service Action 82B8" letter today. So what's the consensus? Are people getting this update done? Don't think I've used the heater once so I haven't noticed any issues. A/C certainly keeps my side at a solid 72º though.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I think I would get it done, but I would like to understand the problem and the solution.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Received this today.

Does anybody know "exactly" what the software change does?

I sounds like the electric auxiliary air heater PTC heating element is degrading, and just guessing the software update will either limit the time that it is on, or lower the voltage
applied to it. My aux heater works just fine in the winter so I'm reluctant to have any changes done to it until I find out what those changes are.

Looks like Audi QC just continues to go down. An electric heating element should have a lot of QC life cycling performed on going by the element supplier to prevent issues like this.
Bob
Thank you for sharing this info.
We took ours to the dealer and took care it if by the time we got Audi's letter today.
Really appreciate it
Old 08-24-2016, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I've booked the appointment. Not so much because I'm worried about it, but because there are some other niggling issues I want them to look at while it is there.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had it done recently. Software update (for once) doesn't appear to have affected any of my VCDS settings.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yea I just got my notice.Now in this atmosphere of uncertainty visa vi Audi/VW I'm paranoically thinking I don't want to let these guys getting near my TDI's ecu but yah I know they have my best interests at heart LOL.
I'll get it done because the pre-heater works well and is very usefull in my climate.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Haven't had a chance to see if the update affected anything else, but a very odd thing happened the next day. I was stopped at a traffic light in a heavy rain, and went to squint at the AC panel (cooling on auto at 73F) and turn on both defoggers. Pushed both defog buttons at once, and the engine shut down.

WTF?

It restarted without complaint and I was unable to duplicate the problem later, despite lots of button-poking. Still, I don't like unrequested engine shutdowns.

Also found out that there's apparently a Bluetooth update for the 2014's. Dealer didn't know if it would solve my BT phone problem (sometimes, the car says there's no phone, and the phone begs to differ) but they had no other idea.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Haven't had a chance to see if the update affected anything else, but a very odd thing happened the next day. I was stopped at a traffic light in a heavy rain, and went to squint at the AC panel (cooling on auto at 73F) and turn on both defoggers. Pushed both defog buttons at once, and the engine shut down.

WTF?

It restarted without complaint and I was unable to duplicate the problem later, despite lots of button-poking. Still, I don't like unrequested engine shutdowns.

Also found out that there's apparently a Bluetooth update for the 2014's. Dealer didn't know if it would solve my BT phone problem (sometimes, the car says there's no phone, and the phone begs to differ) but they had no other idea.
Did they install the Bluetooth update too? I'm taking mine in on Sept 12th.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

## (sometimes, the car says there's no phone, and the phone begs to differ)

I have seen this a couple of times on mine 2013.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I told the service writer the specifics (have gone through several phones since buying the car, and only this car has had any problem with any, in fact all, of them) and told him to have a good time tearing into it while the car was there. I don't know what the tech actually got into, but the writer said they marked it as "could not duplicate problem" and since they had a BT firmware update available for unspecified reasons, they updated the BT firmware "because it might" fix the problem.

Couple more months and we'll find out, I guess. It took about three months before the car started lying about the most recent phone, and that only twice so far. Ten minutes later, it changed it's mind.

Quick Reply: 2013-16 A/C software upgrade service advisory issued