Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2013 Audi Q5 2.0T used oil analysis results

Old 06-26-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T used oil analysis results

Here are the results from my recent used oil analysis done by Blackstone Lab. This is only my 3rd oil change. First was done by dealership at the first 5k miles, next was 15k miles by me using Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic, and same Mobil 1 oil at 25k miles. Oil filter is Audi OEM.

Majority of my mileage are highway miles, averaging 75 mph, 25 mpg.

I'll do another analysis at the next 10k mi.
Attached Files

Last edited by vutekho; 07-07-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: pdf wasn't clear
Old 06-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't seem to read it...
Old 07-06-2014, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dmaccioc
Can't seem to read it...
It should work now.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does TBN stand for? Why have the oil change at 5k miles? Was there any special reason for it? I've heard that apparently doing an oil change at the first 5k miles really improves engine life. However Audi engines are already run in
Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The TBN is the amount of additives left in the oil. Once they are consumed, acids and other harmful products build up and engine damage is being done, so a "higher" TBN number is good. As long as it is above zero, the oil is still fighting acids, etc.

Only the paranoid change oil at 5000 miles these days, or folks using cheap oil. Except, the first "break in" change which always used to be done at 1000 miles. With an engine that is already broken in to some extent, and better manufacturing which leaves fewer shavings and less polishing in to be done, Audi has gone to 5k miles for the break-in oil change. In theory, any manufacturing crap will come out and no damage will have been done. In practice...I'm not sure I'd want to wait 5000 miles or 12 months for the first inspection of the engine, which is what that really is, if you're sending out for analysis.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah thanks for the quick response and clarification. Good to know. My first inspection service is 2 years on the Diesel engine for Audi. I've done just under 4k miles in 15 months so should be ok for a 5k miles oil change.

By the way , you may want to consider removing your personal address and telephone number from that PDF you posted.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sbarlas
By the way , you may want to consider removing your personal address and telephone number from that PDF you posted.

Hmmm....I thought it was removed. I'll repost the pdf file again once I get to a computer.

Last edited by vutekho; 07-07-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

FWIW, all "PDF" software isn't equal. And Adobe's own products sometimes are flawed. I've seen highlighting and blocking (i.e. drawing a white box over something to hide it) disappear when a file is rendered in another program or version.

If I were paranoid I'd say that to make sure something was "removed", you'd need to delete the characters in a full-blown editor after doing an OCR conversion on the file. Or, physically print it out, block them out, and scan it back in again.

Or perhaps...that's just computer security experience, not paranoia.(G)
Old 07-07-2014, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
FWIW, all "PDF" software isn't equal. And Adobe's own products sometimes are flawed. I've seen highlighting and blocking (i.e. drawing a white box over something to hide it) disappear when a file is rendered in another program or version.

If I were paranoid I'd say that to make sure something was "removed", you'd need to delete the characters in a full-blown editor after doing an OCR conversion on the file. Or, physically print it out, block them out, and scan it back in again.

Or perhaps...that's just computer security experience, not paranoia.(G)
I just printed it out and scanned it. Old fashioned way always works!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sbarlas
What does TBN stand for? Why have the oil change at 5k miles? Was there any special reason for it? I've heard that apparently doing an oil change at the first 5k miles really improves engine life. However Audi engines are already run in
The first 5k mile was a free standard maintenance covered by Audi, then every 10k mile as per owners manual.

I used to change the oil in my 98 Acura Integra (sold at 128k miles) and my 2003 IS300 (sold at 165K miles) using the same 10k mile interval and Mobil 1, and never had any issues. I also sent my used oil for these vehicles in to Blackstone for an analysis, every 30k miles, and they actually recommend I extend my change interval to 12k miles because the oil was still in good shape, but I wanted to have some buffer room.

Besides tearing the motor down and measure all the moving parts, a UOA is the most efficient way to determine the condition of our motor and oil. I prefer not to guess or throw away money needlessly.

Hope this is useful information to some.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Audi Q5 2.0T used oil analysis results